Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random crashes in 0.6.0

edited 7:06PM in Issues
Not sure what it is, but yiffalicious will crash after a certain period of time. Hopefully its not just me.

Comments

• edited 7:06PM
    System specs? Are you trying to run it in VR? A little more information about your problem would help us help you help everyone.
    Not trying to run it in VR since I don't have a headset.

Radeon R9 390X
    AMD FX-8320
    16GB RAM

It just crashes sometime after starting up.
    SexyLizard69 said: It just crashes sometime after starting up.
    I've had this issue happen in VR, but I assumed it was because of VR itself. If it does it, I just try restarting it again until it doesn't crash.

Are you clicking out of the program when it runs?
    What operating system are you using?
    Are you using the installer or the archive?
    Have you tried lowering the settings?

Otherwise, I think it's just a bug with the game.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited 7:06PM
    Hmm, that's worrysome. I haven't run into any crashes myself.

If you're running the zip version, can you please take a look in the yiffalicious_Data folder and locate output_log.txt (after crash)? Please paste the contents at http://pastebin.com/ and link it here.
  • edited August 2016
    I'm getting crashes with this new version as well.  They're making my graphics driver crash or something.  Both of my monitors go black and then after a couple of seconds, they start working again, and I get a message in my toolbar saying that my AMD display driver has restarted.  It seems to happen after a few minutes regardless of what I'm doing.  And this did not happen with version 0.5.4.  My display drivers are up to date and I'm not using VR.

I'm running in 1600x900 windowed mode and my specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel i5-2500
    Radeon HD 6970
    8GB RAM

EDIT:  Yiffalicious just freezes, it itself does not close, but it is unresponsive after the display driver crashes. Also, output_log  http://pastebin.com/J8MeUJDC  And I am using the zip version.

odes said: I haven't run into any crashes myself.
    Just to clarify, I myself was crashing on the latest public build in VR.
  • edited August 2016
    I'm getting the same thing as RogerWilco. It may not be the game inself crashing, but the display driver, or maybe the game is causing it to crash.

And I'm running Windows 10, and am using the installer version.
    Same here, also been getting display driver crashes on windows 10 with the installer.

• odesodes Administrator
    Radeon cards in both cases. I'm starting to think it's isolated to those as I'm unable to reproduce this (I'm on GeForce). Either case, I need those log files. Please share them.

BallisticD said: Same here, also been getting display driver crashes on windows 10 with the installer.
    What graphics card?
    AMD R9 270

I have two using crossfire but I don't think Unity utilizes that even in fullscreen mode iirc.
  • odesodes Administrator
    RogerWilco said: Also, output_log  http://pastebin.com/J8MeUJDC  And I am using the zip version.
    Hmm, nothing too useful here. As you said, it seems to be that the driver crashes rather than the app itself.

Things to try:
    * Does this happen in other levels?
    * Does this happen even when there are no characters present?
    Leaving Yiffalicious open, but not as the active window on the default level for ten minutes does not result in a crash.  Opening the official dragoness3 interaction and leaving it running on the "First?" snapshot for 15 minutes, but not as the active window does not result in a crash either.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Thanks for sharing that, RogerWilco. When you say not active window, is it minimized or just in the background?
  • edited August 2016
    I can reproduce the crash 100% of the time (9/9 times) by loading the LoneDuck2 interaction that is on the first page of the interactions sorted by new and playing it, followed by zooming in all the way using my mouse wheel and zooming out so that the characters are both entirely in frame.  Repeat zooming in and zooming out until the crash happens, it usually take two 'zoom in zoom out' loops.

EDIT: just in the background.
    I just tried messing with the graphics options, and turning DX11 Tessellation off seems to have fixed that crash.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Excellent, great that you found a way to reproduce this error like that!

@SexyLizard69 does that cause a crash for you too?

Basically using this pose file, and zooming in and out. (I can't reproduce it on my system though.)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B03O3-piMMqQWlNKczl3Q0tXUDg
  • odesodes Administrator
    Have you tried disabling everything in Menu > graphics, and running on the "Fastest" setting (launch window)?
    I can tell you with 100% certainty, that it has something to do with tessellation, it runs perfect, and than crashes as soon as I enable tess. And it also seemed to run fine with the graphics set to lowest.
  • edited August 2016
    On "Fastest" with everything disabled in the graphics menu the crash does not occur, even if DX11 Tesselation is enabled.  The same goes for "Fast."  On "Simple," and "Good," the crashes where Yiffalicious freezes and the graphics drivers restart, occur when DX11 Tesselation is enabled.  On "Beautiful" and "Fantastic" with DX11 Tesselation enabled, I get a much worse error, where (my guess is that) my graphics drivers do not restart and I have to perform a hard shut-down of my computer.  I'm inclined to think that it has something to do with tessellation and AMD graphics cards.  This is all on the LoneDuck2 pose, I'm not sure how to load the pose file that you linked, odes.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Ok, excellent feedback guys. I wanna try some things. I'll get back to you with some test builds.

RogerWilco said: I'm not sure how to load the pose file that you linked
    It's the same one. Just linked for accessibility. You can put .yiff files in:
    %appdata%/yiffalicious/interactions/local
    I guess it's time for Odes to do the worst and go to the dark side. Just buy an RX 480, it's the best bang for the buck. Maybe you'll even like it.
  • odesodes Administrator
    I think I have an old radeon lying around somewhere. Being able to test myself is far better than sending test builds back and forth. So I'm gonna try and find it. Right now I'm fixing some other bugs tho. But I'll probably start looking at this tomorrow.
  • edited August 2016
    r9 290x here driver hangs sometimes not always. Last time it was 3 times when i tried to move the camera then it worked. Also please be aware that due to the driver reset, the video card cooler wont reset to idle / low speed afterwards until you restart your pc, which isnt a good thing for the gpu, just a warning. Also no log is generated because the game doesn't crash, it just gets stuck/freezes/black-screen.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Ok, so some progress guys. I've managed to reproduce this error on a radeon rig I built, and in a very small isolated project using standard assets. I've uploaded this project to unity in a bug report. Not sure what more I can do. For now tessellation will just default to off on non-geforce hardware in the upcoming patch.
    Getting the same issue with an AMD R9 290X. All settings, including Tesselation, are off, except for Multithreading and the Driver Quality (which is set to max because, well, shoulders).

Friend says it may have to do with Direct X? Dunno.
    Problem is, it isn't a tesselation issue, it happened even when it was disabled. On the other hand, after disabling multithreading the issue only happened once. Not sure what is causing it, it seems to be rather random, there are things that decrease the chances of it happening though.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Dark_Messiah said: Not sure what is causing it, it seems to be rather random, there are things that decrease the chances of it happening though.
    Does it crash or does display driver crash? Might be unrelated issue in that case. Either way, I need to see log files to be able to help.
    For me, the entire game freezes for a few seconds and then I get the notification that the display driver stopped working and recovered. The game stays frozen, however, and you have to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it and restart. I'll screw with it a bit and see if I can iron out what it is. 
  • odesodes Administrator
    Sounds exactly like the tessellation issue. Lowering settings to "Fast" in launch dialog doesn't help?
  • odesodes Administrator
    Unity just confirmed my bug report about the tessellation btw.