Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] How do I create skins?

jei3jei3 Moderator
edited 8:17PM in Custom skins
This discussion can be used for asking for help about creating skins. Please check the wiki category for skins before posting as your questions may already be answered:

http://wiki.yiffalicious.com/index.php/Category:Skinning

Comments

• edited 8:17PM
    I cant find the base png files that have the skins.

So like in Roaming\yiffalicious\custom\textures\character_cat\Body\2\CatBody
    There is no file of any whatsoever. Is it just, empty?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 8:17PM
    When the folders are empty the game will use the default skin.

As noted on the Skin Authoring wiki article "To make skin authoring easier, static models and a default skin are provided via the patron download page."

To save on space, not every default skin for every character was included.

Oh right, in the upper right "Characters" is where to get them! Sorry! Its new, I did not know.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    no problem, i've update the wiki article to clarify that it's a separate tab on the downloads page.
  • edited March 2017
    Im confused how do i paint the textures without any models to apply them? i can do them 2d but 3d is way easier  Edit: Never mind i found it you can delete this comment if you want lol
    First up let me say how awesome it is that you guys decided to make skinning for this game a thing. Been having lots of fun with this but I've ran into some trouble, I made a complete reskin for the horse but only the main body texture is working ingame. Did I mess up the folder structure in some way?

Each of the folders has the corresponding _MainTex.png inside.

• odesodes Administrator
    edited March 2017
    Hi @thirteeenth!

Thanks! Glad you enjoy the skinning. :)

The skinning system is a bit confusing right now, since Yiffalicious wasn't made with it in mind from scratch. Each folder corresponds to a slider inside the game.

If you want to skin the dong of the horse, you need to put a texture in this penis slider folder:

character_horse\Penis\0\HorseDickLow

Same goes for other parts of the character. So basically:

<character>/<slider>/<slider index>/<mesh target>

You cannot have one slider affect an unassociated mesh target.

I see! Thanks for the quick answer, I'll give it another shot :)
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    @thirteeenth, you'll need to move the Dick, Eyes, Hair, and Tail textures to their respective folders.

describing the folder structure properly on the wiki has been harder than i thought it would be, if there's a better way to explain it, please let me know.

in leu of that, here's a screenshot of an upcoming app to hopefully help you understand how the horse's textures are laid out

@jei3 ;
    I'm having difficulty getting the proper folder and file structure for Ilinir. The zip is named character_dragoness.zip. The Folder structure inside is as Follows: ...\Body\0\_MainTex.png
    Inside, I have an icon png, so I can see if it works in the manager.
      Have also tried various mapping structure, but just can't get it to work :/
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited March 2017
    @DrunkDragon

a few things:
    1: Name your zip something unique
    2: The folder "character_dragoness" needs to be the first level in the ZIP file
    3: Don't include the index id. as the end user can place the skin in whatever slot they want the zipped skin does not include the index

More info on the wiki page for Jei3's SkinManager Skin Format

i made a slight tweak to the examples, hopefully this makes more sense now.
    It helps a lot. Don't know if your changed it since I last looked at it :) But, is it Ilinir or Dragoness?
    @jei3 ;
    Wohoo! Got it working :D Gonna play around with textures tonight!
    PS: It's Dragoness ;) if anyone else is wondering.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    DrunkDragon said: But, is it Ilinir or Dragoness

you can call the zip whatever you want, but the character_name needs to match what it's called in game, there's a list here
    Thanks guys, yeah it was pretty obvious once I moved up a few folders so I feel kinda dumb but I got it working now.
    Still having an issue with the eyes, because ingame he shows up with heterochromia instead of steely blues.

I'm guessing it could be related to the colored specular you seem to be using in the shader but I'm a bit confused that the second eye seems to have the default color?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    thirteeenth said: Still having an issue with the eyes, because ingame he shows up with heterochromia instead of steely blues.
    yeah, we missed this in testing. horse and rabbit both have an issue where only one of their eyes can be skinned. odes is looking into it.
    Okay thanks! :)
    Hello Jei3, sorry to be a bother again but it seems the horse isn't compatible with your skin manager.
    I've packed up the skin and set up the folders as advised in the wiki, the icon shows up but I'm not able to drag and drop the icon on any skin slot.
    I've made a quick charlotte skin to test if I made a mistake setting up the folders but that one worked fine so it seems to be unique to the horse.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited March 2017
    PM me your skin and I'll look at it. My zebra skin seems to work fine.
    Thanks Jei3,
    Posting the resolution here in case someone else has this problem:
    Bodyparts need to be seperate zip files so they can be dragged onto the corresponding slots.
    So if you have a skin that includes a modified hair texture and a modified body texture you'll have to make them two seperate  zip files.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited March 2017
    thirteeenth said: So if you have a skin that includes a modified hair texture and a modified body texture you'll have to make them two seperate  zip files.
    yep, and the skin manager is written to keep you from dragging the wrong character+part combination onto the wrong skin slot, horse body can go into any of the horse body slots, and horse penis can go into a horse penis slot:

So im using substance painter 2 and i cant figure out how to import the default textures or how to export them after painting. can anyone help?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    MR_KAMIKAZE said: how to import the default textures

Here's how I get a new project in Substance Painter set up
    http://wiki.yiffalicious.com/index.php/Getting_Started_With_SubstancePainter

• SRPSRP
    I could be misreading things, but is there a download for the template skins that we free users can download? It would be nice for us to be able to mess around with that stuff now and be able to provide new content without having to wait. It's not like we can use it now anyway, so there shouldn't be any worry about us getting content for free that's normally paid for.
    For now it's only on the patrons download page.
    For what ever reason the skin manager wont let me use the Firefox.zip i made but will let me use stripedfox.zip just fine ive checked and rechecked and they are the same but it wont let me use it. any idea why it wont?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    Can you pm me the zip? I don't see anything obvious in the screenshot.
    So Im using krita to edit the skins and then transferring to blender to save as a new fxb but I cant seem to but them in the skin manager. Have I done something wrong?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    SpazzleHusky said: but I cant seem to but them in the skin manager
    to work with the skin manager you need to zip the files up in a specific format: http://wiki.yiffalicious.com/index.php/Jei3's_SkinManager_Skin_Format

Im not sure if this is the right place, but... how do you colour in Ilinirs teeth?

Im using substance painter, and sliding across her teeth makes the brush also paint across her cheek, her chin and etc. Ive tried all sorts of methods and even being carefull but it is impossible to paint the front of her teeth without spoiling her cheeks and whatnot.