Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Wolf] Realistic Skin - Eye and Body Textures

edited January 2018 in Custom skins
Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to say thank you to the devs of this program. It's absolutely phenomenal, and I can't wait for FL2.

Secondly...hello! I'm new to the community and program, but I've taken enough of an interest in it to create some custom skins that I wasn't able to find elsewhere:

These skins (one for the eye and body) were designed with the intent of giving the wolf model a more realistic appearance. Making them involved stitching together high resolution photographs from public domain sources. Where an appropriate image could not be found, care was taken to edit in and smoothly blend missing areas. Certain parts of the fur were also modified to have a lighter or darker appearance to give the impression of a more mottled coat. For the eye, a lot of the work was done for the sake of giving the cornea more detail and a making it a more wolfish yellow.

I hope someone of you enjoy them! I haven't had a chance to test them without fur rendering, so your mileage may vary there.

Installation:
These files were designed to work with Yiffalicious Skin Manager 2.0.2. Installation is as simple as copying the .zips into your specified texture folder created when you set up the skin manager software.

Eye Texture
Version 1.0:

Body Texture
Version 1.1:

Version 1.0:

You can find more of my work at my furaffinity page.

Comments

• Damn these are awsome

• edited January 2018
    Thanks, glad you enjoy them!

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention it in my initial post, but these are still a work in progress. It takes time to piece it all together, but if there's interest I can try to fix a few things that I wasn't able to correct initially.
  • Very nice, Thank you!
  • edited January 2018
     <3 <3 <3  PS I noticed that the Link to the body texture are actually the download for the eyes  
  • Ooooh, thanks for letting me know! I'll fix it right away Canitoo :).
  • edited January 2018
    I really like it! More skins for the wolfie are always welcome! What do you plan to fix/add?
    If your aim is realism, I'd suggest giving his butthole a fleshy color, so it's not fur colored all the way inside. (got the impression it was flesh colored in that second pic, until I saw him ingame)
    Paw pads and palm pads might be interesting, too, although wolf's feet are shaped a bit weirdly... 
    this skin gave him claws, but the lack of nipples (dunno how that would look with fur shader ON, but nips could be nice too) made his chest a bit too bland, IMO.
  • edited January 2018
    Thanks DocS! I'm glad you enjoy the skin even in its current state, and feedback is always super helpful. Here's what I was hoping to add some polish to:

1. Fix the texture seam on the nose. Because of how the model is wrapped, care has to be given to that area to ensure things look normal and match and that there are no hard edges. I rushed it a little, and would like to go back and do it right.
    2. Add/improve anus/penis textures. Because I was using photo refs to get this done quickly, I was hesitant to start searching for the appropriate texture refs for these parts. I can still do it by hand with traditional drawing, but I just didn't budget the time for it.
    3. Paw/palm pads is a fantastic idea that I hadn't thought of. This would be a simple thing to do, but it might look weird since the entire hand is covered in a layer of fur. The nose area works on the model because no fur is set to render there, but any additions I make to the hand textures are going to just look like different colored fur if the option to render it is set. Would love to see examples if you have any- I just don't even know where to begin to avoid the mismatch I fear might happen. A similar issue may come up when adding in nipples (a great idea btw, had totally skipped those by accident), but I haven't tried it yet to know.
    4. Refine highlights and patterns on the tail, ears, and back. Right now the areas work, but they're a lil' boring. I would like to break up the monotony by adding in some more fur patterns.
    5. Redo the teeth. This is a big one since they're just a flat shade of white at the moment. I did some experiments when I first created the skin, but found that any colour I add to the teeth ends up creating fur all over them when I apply the fur render option (you can still see a few strands being rendered that I forgot to clean up). It would be cool to have more a natural looking gumline/teeth shading, but I can't do it with fur rendering since it just ends up looking like someone forgot to brush their teeth for a month.
    6. Do something more with the feet/ankle region. Pawpads (like you mentioned) would be a fantastic idea here. I would also like to add more colour variety in the fur gradient leading do to and past the ankle, just to make the spot that much more enticing for anyone who has a fixation on that part of the body. Your idea of claws would be great here too, and I'll very likely end up adding it in :).
    7. Increase the overall resolution of the skin. The nose has a pixelated look right now that's coming from the small amount of area given to its texture coordinates. A larger resolution texture file could effectively double the amount of detail to fix this issue, but IDK if the program can handle 8k+ textures (currently, these are at a 4k resolution).

That's what I can name off the top of my head anyways. I'll probably see more things to fix once I get back into and start checking it out more, but there seems to be enough interest in the original to justify it. Post and let me know if you want anything more- I'm heading out for an interview today, but should have time once I get back to sit down and do some texture editing.

• That's so nice! I hope you get the time you need to do everything you want, really looking forward to seeing it!
    About Wolf's palms and soles, both areas seem to have a very short fur effect:

might be worth a experiment, since the Cat kind of has some fur in her hands too:

Maybe keep the pads only at his finger digits and the fatty topmost part of the palm, same for the feet?
    If it's possible to subtly convey depth and roundness through texture, I think it might work if the fur effect isn't too overwhelming.

Nips could be half exposed. I think I've seen some artists drawing them this way, just a tuft partially covering their character's nipples.

Also, hope everything went smoothly in your interview, good luck with your projects!

• Now those are some awesome resources! Thanks for the help DocS- I'm starting work on the texture right now and plan to use what you posted here to help realize a few things. I'll give the nipples a shot with the method you linked, so we'll see how it goes. (Interview went great too, thanks!)
  • How can you get a hairy texture like that last pic DocS ? does it require more than just painting the texture? else how can we do this so that it has hair reaching outside the mesh?
    Thanks for your help in advance.
  • That's part of the fur shaders, an option you can enable in game. 
  • Yup yup, it's an option you can adjust inside the "Graphics" menu.
    It can be a bit intensive on your computer's hardware, so you might want to test it out...
    ON:
    OFF:

It really gives each character a different and softer look, I quite like it!
  • Oh wow! Cool.
    Thanks a bunch.
  • edited January 2018
    Hi everyone!

I've just updated this threads initial post with a link to version 1.1 of my body texture (you'll find it at the bottom of the post beneath the "installation" section).

Notable changes include:
    • Added nipples that are slightly obscured by chest fur.
    • Hand, palm, and feet pads!
    • slightly modified colouring on the head, feet, and legs
    • claws for the feet

Future changes planned:

• Improve overall texture quality and investigate an 8k option
    • fix nose area and remove texture seam
    • toe pads
    • investigate improving teeth
    • better fur colouration on back, neck, ears and head.
    • better fur blending on all paw pads
    • include graphics for "private" areas (anus and penis)

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas. Special shout out to DocS for giving some much needed direction! :)

• edited January 2018
    Aw shucks, glad to know I could help somehow. You absolutely nailed those nips!
    It's so cool that none of the additions clashed with the fur shader, on the contrary, the character looks even better with the effect turned on:

Nice claws and those cutey pads:

*Ahem* It's really coming along nicely, well done!
  • edited October 2022
    links not working :(
  • edited July 2023