Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imported Obj missing faces

This may be due to the complexity , I'm not sure what the vertex/face limit is, or my own novice error, but the underside of a scale I created is just not there.

Also, if anyone knows where the .obj files native to YL2 are stored, I'd appreciate knowing.

Comments

• DogsonDogson Administrator
    It may be because the face normals are flipped? What software are you using, Blender? If you could provide us with a screenshot of how your scale looks like inside your 3d editing software.
  • Thank you for the quick response! As I said, I'm still pretty new at this, so it might very well be the case. I am indeed using Blender.

Hope this helps to ID the issue.
    hm, looks okay so far, and it's properly uv-mapped also, yeah?
    edited March 2020
    Also, I haven't had time to play around too much in 2.8 because of our project is still much in 2.78 because of export issues with fbx, but you could try this free normal editor on for 2.8:

https://github.com/fedackb/yavne (edit: scroll down for a more extensive guide of what it does)

As I recall, the normal control in 2.7x was sort of sucky, the base one that is. What you describe does sound like a flipped normal issue so try using this, making sure every normal is pointing out correctly from their respective face value.
  • Worth a shot, I'll let you know after I mess around with it. Thanks!
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited March 2020
    Backfaces in real time rendering are culled. If you want to have backfaces rendered, you need to duplicate the faces and flip the normals.

YL2 doesn't store its own OBJ files. They're stored in Unity's own internal format in the binary files and cannot easily be retrieved. You can however export the body mesh by using the File > Export command in YL2.
  • That got it! Thank you!