Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hair tools would be a great addition

Hiya, I've been making a fair few characters recently and I gotta say the toolset is amazing so far.

But there's 2 main gripes I have, one being more major than the other.

That being the lack of hair tools, I usually use model groups with claws to make hair and this works for big fluffy hair 
for example here

As it looks cartoony enough to fit in.

However when you have long thin hair especially with multiple colors, it gets really bad.

Yeah it looks more like a rug running down her shoulders than hair. 

Now I don't personally know how you'd do it, perhaps have some base hair models like with the bunny's hair and add sliders for length and allow texture painting or so. But I feel like proper hair tools are a real missing link to getting this feature complete. 

As for my other small gripe, just a freepaint tool for masks would be a great addition, so we can touch up lines or add fine details with just a brush in the editor. Can also be usefull for teeth and lipsticks, not having to do those via exported textures or capsule masks would be swood.

Anyway, hope this suggestion gets looked into :p!

Cheers!

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Do it like me and git gud with the fluff feature.
    Alternatively you can look at Styl1sh's post http://forum.yiffalicious.com/discussion/2333/styl1shs-characters#latest He is also making hair with the use of models.

I do see your idea about making big fluffy hair, or long hair that runs down in front of shoulders. HOWEVER, you must be aware that this could look awkward when interactions are implemented. Because the head will be moving and etc.

So I agree, we kinda want to be able to see more physics elements being implemented so we can more properly test out and make hairs better. For example, Tails cant be bent or positioned, we do not know how Tails will play out for our characters, if it goes the way I think it will, you could use TAIL models as hair pieces.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited May 2020
    Hair was something that was always sort of supposed to be authored outside of the application, at least for the moment. We will have guides for this further down the road.

As for tails and such - we'll allow creation of "flexi" and "physical" entities in the future. It'll essentially be a dynamic bone or a rigid body chain with physics.
  • @Craket ;

I suppose I could bit the bullet and git gud at modelling hair instead and combine it with odes future plans for physical entities when doing things such as long hair or ponytails. 

@odes ;

I see, you guys have already done so much to make this editor accessible and I am commend you for it :p. I'll probs be using that flexi entities tech to mess around with hair models and such to get some form of ponytails/braids working. Other than that I guess I'll have to get gud at modelling hair. 

Just a bit, I mean I wouldn't say disappointing but like. Unfortunate? That hair is kinda locked beyond more advanced 3d work while the rest of the application is so user friendly. Will we perhaps be seeing more pre-made hairstyles like the Bunny's added in future updates to make our lives a little bit easier :3?

Cheers!
  • @ElloMyJello
    Will we perhaps be seeing more pre-made hairstyles like the Bunny's added in future updates to make our lives a little bit easier 3?

I'm guessing this will be one of the things the community can pitch in on extensively. Creating meshes is a relatively simple task, but tends to be time-consuming, especially for something that requires a bit more complexity, like hair usually does. Given the essentially endless hairstyles one could envision, it wouldn't be a very good use of the team's time to make too many of them as opposed to making more complex items that require more intimate knowledge of both modelling and the game's code. There's plenty of people like me, though, who have the basics figured out and could hone their skills by modelling hair.

Until they've got the physics systems set up, though, all we can do at the moment is static meshes, maybe with a bit of workaround flexibility by using external software to animate/simulate it and then export individual frames of that as static meshes (something I've been meaning to test for a couple of months, but real life has been kicking my ass too hard to allow for it). Seaking of;

@odes
    As for tails and such - we'll allow creation of "flexi" and "physical" entities to be created in the future. It'll essentially be a dynamic bone or a rigid body chain with physics.
    Ooh, sounds interesting. Will that be something one needs to set up in external software or something one can do entirely inside of YL2? I can envision lots of uses for it either way.
  • Main reason why I'm holding back on making hair and tails is waiting for an implementation of animated/physics-enabled parts. The other reason is because I suck at modeling lol.
    I'm curious what method you'll come up with, @odes
  • odesodes Administrator
    @Brownmane
    That would be set up inside YL2.