Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Quick tip] A place to use Thickness

edited July 2020 in Characters
Just wanted to add a quick tip.

Thickness can only work if you change the objects materialHandler to SSS.
When that is set, Set a new layer in the textureBuilder for that object and add a Thickness Layer.

Ok anyway, The only place as of right now that I can think of setting them at most appropriately is on the Ears.

It simulates a thin density in certain body parts. Like putting a flashlight to your cheek and see the light shine through to your mouth. So far it always goes red-ish, which to me assumes that it is assumed to be used on body parts and not so much objects.

And as soon as you look at the character from the lights perspective...

You cant see the red (Mostly), so the effect is a really nice touch of detail If the character just so happens to have light behind them.

If I turn the character and have the lights shine through the front.

It will still look good. Although it depends on how much thickness you add to it. It also does not exactly help that the ear models actually look pretty thick, but still. Thickness Layer on the ears work wonders!

Do Not forget! That you can use Masks to set the Thickness more appropriately in these places.

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    Great tips and nice pictures to explain better. Good job and thanks for sharing!
  • So far it always goes red-ish, which to me assumes that it is assumed to be used on body parts and not so much objects.

Would be nice to have control over that, for things like gemstones or characters made of something other than standard terrestrial flesh.