Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Texturing Character Body

Definitely a noob question here!

I'm noticing multiple characters with fur/skin textures and i'm unable to see/figure out exactly how it's done. I have a few fur textures as maps, however whenever I import them, I can't seem to apply them anywhere. From what I see, the fur textures I import are listed under Local Assets, however I don't really understand why those texures seem to be imported as objects which creates the texture on the entire body. Is there a thread someone can point me to that might help me out? 

If I need screenshots to explain, please let me know and i'll try to explain better!

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    Hi there @BixbyBull,

Textures can be imported as two different kinds - masks or maps. Masks are used in masking, while maps can be used in layering.

To use a texture, add a mask texture object and reference a mask texture, or add a PBR layer and reference a map.

Note that tiling and offsets have been added to the next release of FurryVNE, so that will make texturing with textures more versatile.
  • Alright awesome. One more question! How is it that some characters i'm finding in the cloud with texturing aren't referencing anything? As far as I can see, there are only imported local assets, however, there aren't any layers/masks that are referencing the local assets. If you turn all the layers off, the texture or "skin" is still visible. How are they acomplishing that? 
  • odesodes Administrator
    That sounds strange. From your description alone, it doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps if you show a video I could explain what's going on. It might also be a bug.
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfjh5a41vqmmp54/interesting.mp4?dl=0

Here's a video. 

As you can see, there is a local asset imported as both a map and mask. 

However, no layer or mask is referencing either of those imported assets. 

I can turn everything off and it's still visible. If I disable "Use Normal AOMs", the texturing goes away but is still visible on the chest.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Ah I see what you mean.

There is a special concept called "detail textures". A detail texture is a repeating texture on the body that works well for giving the surface its character. It's useful for things like scales.

You can find detail texturing options in Material Handler > Detail texture.
  • edited November 2020
    Thank you so much! Can't believe I couldn't find that -_-. Really appreciate the info :3

• odesodes Administrator
    Happy to help!

Good luck!