Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crakets Characters and Progress - [Why? mmh... Monkey] - 88 Characters

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    Yah, I think I'll just remake the screenshot function so it renders the scene "normally". Still, annoying that AO essentially breaks if you're targeting higher resolutions. It makes no sense that AO should look completely different in 720p vs 1440p.
  • Hi @Craket, I have a quick question- are you using the in-app tool to take all these screenshots? when I use it and export the pictures, they always come out 512x512, no matter what resolution I open the app in.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2020
    For the most recent characters, yeah. Mostly due to laziness. Best way to take screenshots is

| PrintScreen button, then, open up Paint and paste in with Ctrl+V, Save it to desktop, open the image with windows default photo viewer, and crop the image to where the screenshot ought to be seen. Upload to imgur (without uploading to community). And then you can share the screenshot here. |

This is how I did it.
  • Gotcha. Thanks!
  • I just want to create a long overdue update.

Sorry for being absent and not fulfilling the prophecy of 60 characters equalling the advent of interactions. Joking, but sorry for not being around and adding to the activity as much. Ive had a lot of changes happening and needed to put my mind off of sexy furry smut stuff.

Before I finally come back to reveal my new character, I just want to give my thoughts and attention to other creators.

I want to give some big attention to @kittysasha for their amazing character

Search: author:kittysasha

Sasha

If there is any character I would want to be the poster child for FurryVNE so far, its this one. She feels original and unique and not too wildly different, so shes easy to take seriously. Her hair is way cute and her general grey tiger pattern. Im still sceptical about how clothing works 'currently', but Kitty has managed pretty well for poses at least.

Kitty has in general managed to make some very sexy ladies, even took on a very nice looking Krystal. (Tag her as Krystal! Once FurVNE has traffic, you want yours to be quintessential and easy to find!).

---------

@worsel (WorselTheV ?) Has a pretty good bunch of characters as well, I like his characters due to them having a whole lot of 'character' to them.

Search: author:WorselTheV

Nickie

His Tis is also very interesting, I can see how people would not like him since he is such a drastic departure of the usual body proportion. But he looks so gosh damn cool and full of potential. Again, Worsel pulls in a good deal of character into his characters and is inspiring me to also pull a crazy unique one.

-----------

Search: author:JohnVermer

@JohnVermer Is someone who puts in a lot of cool custom parts for their character. Some can be fantastical, roleplay-like and others are quite appropriate.

Captain Cuttail

My favourite from him has to be Louis (Male Skunk), not too crazy with custom parts, Just appropriate. This may come off as a criticism, but I am not sure many of these custom parts will be put to play in interactions or be worth it in the long run due to the character file sizes. However, these are the kinds of people who will probably put best use of the new clothing tech if it turns out well.

But his practice in putting these custom parts are actually well appreciated, seeing people stretch the limits of the app is great and we need more people configuring with the app in this way to give a new angle of creators so that the Devs respond with features that help you guys out!

-------------

One random mention towards @Salax for his one and only character (currently of writting).

Search: author:Salax

Tatya

It is very weird seeing someone with 1 character uploaded being this good. Ofcourse, like a lot of my characters, this one is not extraordinary or anything. But a very good simple character that is straightforward.

Just a few tweaks like, combing the butt fur and shes just... pretty much complete.

----------------------

Quick mention towards @Blacky and their

Search: Author:Blacky

Nicolette "Nikki" Renard

Something weirdly cool with Nikki and her snout and head shape turned out. I love seeing unique characters and Nikki fits in with the "Not unusual, but you would spot her out in the crowd" crowd. The hair, hears and arm/legg fluff create this nice shape for her that is very much appreciated.

------------------------

If there is anything to gleem from my mentions, I find Shape (and character) to be important within a character. These may be 3D models with somewhat realistic shading, but their concepts (Anthropomorphic animal people) and aesthetic will generally stay cartoony. And even despite that, shape tends to be important even in fashion and art to become memorable and given attention by an audience.

Just look at author:VirusHunter 's characters. His dragon Oppai Dragon Milf even surpassed my Athena (Oh shit!). And that is a really good sign.

If you look at all the top characters, just the first page youl see a lot of characters with good shapes to them. But lets exclude my character Kiah in this manner, I do not know how people found a liking to her so much, shes pretty generic in my eyes.

Top characters within 30 days tend to also have these features. Im certain, with more traffic, top characters and HOT section will look different. I wish there was a more emblematic front page that lists characters, interactions and guides all in one as "Featured for the week/month".

Maybe like milestone characters, like "These 3 characters have been used in interactions the most the past 30 days". Or "These CANINE (tagged) characters had the most activity this week". Just a discoverable front page, maybe its too snowbally? Although for something like this to exist, it needs more traffic of course.

---------------

Anyways, im off to get my character ready. I hope you all had a good Xmas this year, and hope you continue to have a good new years eve!
  • odesodes Administrator
    Ah there you are craket, was wonedering if something happened to you! Though I did see you make a comment in the cloud so I knew you were alive at least, haha.

Some honorable mentions in there, thanks for making others aware of them.

The idea is indeed to have some sort of "start" page that sums up the most relevant information for users. But, as you mentioned, it's kinda hard atm given the amount of traffic we're getting (or rather lack thereof). Hopefully that will change as we add more features and more discover the app.

I really like the suggestions you made regarding what kind of content could be displayed on the start page. It's exactly those kinds of categories that I think people would enjoy and find intersting, so thanks for sharing that idea!

Looking forward to seeing your new characters, and also what you'll create once clothing makes it into the app.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!
  • edited December 2020
    [Deka the Orca Dog added]
    I wanted to do an orca for a while when the shark parts got added. But I just couldnt bring myself to force it out, but im back for now.

I really like her body proportions, it is kind of similar to the Red Panda. Its just so cute and lumpy. I would make a more appropriate orca but I couldnt NOT take the liberty to mix things up literally by posing her as a hybrid species. This then in turn made her even more cute.

At first, was a bit sceptical about a Black&white creature, but those spotty bits made her funky and comfortable despite a fishy skin.

This is essentially my process in drawing and making a character from scratch. I have an idea (may or may not be entirely original). Draw the idea, change the things you do not like but in a way that makes you like it while not changing fundamentals like colour. If I were to give her an alternate colour, it would be a deep purple instead of black, and the yellow a very subtle pastel yellowy white. But that would be too much as a debut, I rather that just be an alternate colour.

Oh well, continuing on!

I will probably try to make crakets jacket
    Mostly Simple, one piece and does not override the crotch area.

Although, im still new to 3d modeling and would need to make even more simple stuff first, so who knows what il make.
  • edited December 2020
    [Hartifol Added]
    I did this drunk drawing session where I spent like 10 or more minutes just doodling as quick as possible. Focusing on Furry stuff, one of them turned out to be what I then chose to make in FurVNE.

You can guess which of these he may be

Im also intrigued at trying out some kind of a character with an Afro. I have tried several times and it always seemed intimidating so I stopped. I will give it a good whirl one time.

Anyways, Hart is really cool, made a new eye texture to contour his iris. He is also very bright in colour, I might want to tone it back up just a tiny bit, since his colours are actually nicer, I think I muted them a bit too much. Regardless, he turned out super cool. Just that, the HSL layers are still acting up, requiring a minor ritual before he can be witnessed as intended.

And for such a tall character, I gave him an adequately sized peen. Something nice about not glorifying the genital so much. Gives more focus to his body. I think it is still large since its proportionate to his already large size when comparing it to others.

----

Oh! I think I might make him a proper character in my little universe as well. So heres a little tidbit about him. You may have noticed both The Craketeer and Hartifol have "Intersex" as a tag. This definition is a lot more literal and extreme for these two. The Craketeer is primarily female but can turn into a male. Same, but opposite for Hartifol. Primarily male, but can switch to female. Its mostly only the genital. I might have to re do his penis and choose something that eludes to this more closely, the problem is none of the penises really fit what I want for him. I might just have to go a bit nuts with the shaft editing later.
  • edited December 2020
    [Nova Bright Added]
    As I was making a character with an Afro, I had to take inspiration from the 70s as well as the blaxploitation era of films. Gave her a fitting name that resembles it and her hair, although those movies did have a bit racist sounding names for their characters.

Well, times have changed and so I am a tiny bit afraid of the reception of this character. I personally love her and the inspirations I took from to make her.

However, I do not want to upload her just yet. I am now comfortable with using Levels, HSL and other filter layers, but they break when loading the character. Fixing them requires fiddling with the masks and undoing. Takes 5 seconds to fix but I rather people load the character and see her in her full glory instead of having to do a minor task for her to appear fully developed. It takes about one or two extra steps to make her "functional" from Hartifol, who takes less to make him look fully functional.

Oh, and how could I forget! Happy new Super Nova explosive year!
  • odesodes Administrator
    How are filter layers breaking? Can you send me the character file? (I thought this was fixed.)
  • edited December 2020
    @Odes
    The issue has already been reported

There were no new updates to FurryVNE for us since then. If you can load Hartifol or Yua, you should see the Levels Layers or other filter layers not loading in on opening the character. But you already fixed it, just we havent gotten the update yet ;)

But for now, take care tho! Have a good new years eve!
  • odesodes Administrator
    Oh right, there hasn't been a release since then, lol.

You too. Happy new year!
  • [Tysj and Åtsor added]
    So! These two are in my collection of "Ygdil" race of aliens that ive made up. They borrow a lot of stuff from the first 3. I wanted to add more that explores just a few more flavours. These are effectively derivatives of my own characters since they are pretty similar, but I hope they vary enough and satisfy the number.

Will upload Nova Bright + these 2 once the new update is out. Dont want people looking at the characters without the fix on filter layers. Should be a nice little surprise for people seeing 3 new cool characters in one go. Maybe more characters if I am quick enough.

Anyway, as I am nearing the dreaded 60 characters, that also means I have to go and update each and every one once I know how each behaves. Its going to be painful, but still worth it as they are still seemingly viable.

Again, viability is something I often think about with when making characters. I try to make sure I dont easily break the character when posing them around. Particularly fluff as hair that flow backwards and are too big tend to stab through the chest when the character looks up. Which is why as of currently, I stay away from Model Hairs.
    I try to see how far up I can make a character look before the hair stabs the chest, depending on how ridiculously far back/up they are looking and when the hair stabs is where I make judgement when its okay or not.

I am afraid if there are certain other locations that I have missed. Fluffing the balls, or the vagina might be super jank looking in interactions. Will expressions break the fluff on the face? Will the ears phase in and out too much, and will the tail lift higher than I thought? Stuff like that scares me a bit hehe.
  • edited March 2021
    Have some teasers to some characters yet to be uploaded.
    Currently holding back 6 characters to be uploaded to the cloud.
    Not sure why exactly as not all have levels layers that would bug. Hartifol was the straw for me. I really dont like that when people clicked and loaded him, they will be greeted by a very cyan big boy instead of the subtle cyan bright man.

So I guess im holding them back as a sign of protest? lol. Give me the next patch that should be fixin those already! hehe. (I also dread it, cant wait to just go and fix all vaginas... )

• [Fidget added]

Might as well start uploading slowly the characters that I can (The 3 teased).

Fidget to me is oddly enough one of those characters I think is very well designed (excluding the rest of the characters from the game, their eyes are too cartoony). And because she seems so well drawn, shes also luckily one of my only fan creations that Ive drawn and now made in FurVNE.

Im still on the fence about the wing assets as We do not know if wings will behave like they did before, which makes me want to remove them if any wing assets muddle her behaviour in interactions. This is with in-house built wings rather than us. And depending on BigCat head models, her face might be recreated. So far im happy with the current feline head model, except for the nose, which is why im in anticipation for the new head models.

Anyways, with a good design to work with, it made it extra fun nailing her design into the app. I especially liked how her hair fluff turned out. Because of her mostly simple bright design, the AO layer removing the AO makes her more cartoony. Pretty much all my characters have AO layer with it maxed out so that the fluff appendages don't separate themselves from the colour they originate from. For Fidget, this is extra good since she does have that more controlled cartoony look and colour.
  • [April the bunny Added]

April is one of those simple and kinda generic characters. I got inspired by the soft grey like fur that I remember seeing somewhere... regardless a soft dark greyish furry being is what was missing in my collection of characters.

But with that, I wanted a more unique take on the hair, nothing groundbreaking, just simply something slightly new.
  • To be completely honest, I really like April. Sometimes simple and generic soft gray fur is the way to go. But I just cannot wait for the last one, that one looks good!
  • [Tea Added]
    Tea was held back for a LONG time, I even thought she was a lost character because I just was not happy with her at the time. The male tiger is Legit actually Lost... But now I might revive him.

I mean, I do need 2 more characters to get to 60 characters in the cloud, buuut I am already there in this forum! The prophecy was that once I reach 60 characters, interactions would be implemented. I dont see any interactions now do I? That is because it turns out I must get to 60 in the cloud! Thats gotta be it, right?

Well, with Nova, Åtsor and Tysj added, im more comfortable with Levels Layers again, this final adjustment is so nice. Really makes the characters flourish where they oughta.

---

As of my opinion on the new patch, I have still to work with the new additions. It is going to take a longer than expected before I can formulate my appreciation for all the trouble to get these things in the character editor.

So my plans are, to make an Alien character using the new snake head (Love it btw).
    Make a jacket for The Craketeer, and if it goes better than expected, make more crap for other characters.
    While doing this, go down on my list of characters (from newest to oldest) and update each.

A list for myself to update on old characters:
    -The anooz (Male & Female)
    -The vagooner (Female)
    -The FurAuthoring and Fluff around the anooz and Vagooner
    -Any other extra polish.
  • edited April 2021
    [Paragas Added]
    In other words, just call her Para. Shes (for me) meant to pair up with Granomal. 2 very contrasting Characters, shipped togheter... myes.

Ok, so. I Drew Para a while ago and think she can be very seductive addition for FurVNE, and it was finally made possible because of the Snake head... BUT there are a few limitations for me (Currently).

So lets talk about Future Potentials!

The addition of garments and making parts kinda TRACK with the body, it is possible to have long flowing hair, although they probably wont physically move around, they at least will satisfy having non intrusive long hair. This is perfect for some characters.

This seems like an easier thing to do than making a Jacket for The Craketeer using blender as a newbie whos pretty busy these days.

So instead, my new plan will be to make Hair "garments" that arent intrusive.

For: Para, Gran and Hartifol

And If I feel confident, I will probably go back to the other characters and see who else would need it. The craketeer also has long flowing hair, same goes for many of the Animal female characters who Ive only simulated a "long" hair effect.

I think after at least doing this to 1 character, I could finally make a write up about the new update. the TL:DR would be "Awesome new update! I feel bad for you guys having to fix so many issues. Things are really piling up arent they? There is still one concern but I think I know the answer to it".

PS. The resolution thing for Fluff helped greatly reduce the triangles for characters with lots of fluff.
  • Scratch that, Hair making with Garments is not ideal as there is no way to add fluff to garments, as well as there is no Hair material shader for it.

The model I made also ends up being invisible in FurVNE, but shows itself under Shaped>Binds. So I dont know what I did wrong there.

Back to the Jacket then.
  • edited April 2021
    Ok I need to vent because trying to learn Blender AGAIN gives me that anger inducing frustration when navigating this damn 3d program.

There are layers upon layers of obfuscating every single element, a simple command needs to be F3 searched and hot keyed. You cant find the command in the vicinity or within a right click. Heck, you dont even know if the command (or whatever) exists. Every new problem needs to be googled, but im not sure what to google :|

So im looking at tutorials left and right, some good, some bad, but mostly they only teach you what the individual knows. They always blend many of the available things together all the time, and I question if I even need all this. Blender even has 2D animation. I absolutely rather have multiple programs specialized for single purposes (Modeling, Animating, effects) rather than put them all in one.

Look at this...

A few minutes of sculpting until I gave up, yet there are tutorials upon tutorials that force me to use the god awful Edit mode in complicated ways. But because of absorbing information regarding a modus of Blender that I feel like I dont need and have issues trying to make work, my method of just brute forcing with sculpting seems to be enough, but the technicality feels like this will just be for nothing, so I gave up for now (Thats why it looks so early).

Should I continue to do what I think is best? Or should I sit through making a donut that toys with constantly new un-needed elements on an already shaped piece?

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I just need a break, lol.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited April 2021
    I'll add hair shader for garments. It just wasn't a priority as it's a rather specialized thing to do. It probably won't be until the next major release though.

Glad resolution setting helped bring your characters to a more more optimized triangle count!

I'm no 3D artist, I just deal with the technical side of things, but using sculpting tools for garments seems really difficult. I think traditional modelling would suit better.

If you want specialized tools, there's this, but it costs money (they have a free trial though):
    https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/overview

There's blender plugins (that costs money) that do something similar:
    https://blendermarket.com/products/cloth-weaver
    https://blendermarket.com/products/simply-cloth

I don't have any experience with any one of these, but they might be worth checking out.
  • Thanks for the help, although I feel like I need to get used to Blender before considering any plugins. I did find the "Simply cloth" plugin, I just feel like I wont know how to use it.

But I think sculpting is just more intuitive for me. But Im going to have to come back and sit through some more specialized tutorials if I wanna get anywhere. I feel like im very close, its just the Editor mode is aggravating me.

• Gettin Close

I restarted. I feel like Sculpting it would be faster but Im not so sure that the Technical aspects of it will will consequently make things harder later.

So I opted for the Edit Mode Shenanigans, and its not fun. But im getting there! It wont look pristine, will definitely end up being pretty sloppy.
  • Just when I got half way done with the jacket, I found a tutorial for auto-retopology of a sculpted model, so that it can be in a optimized mesh form. Gaaaaad damnit.
  • I fuckin did it!

You can clearly tell that it is not that great, but I figured my way around blender without the Auto-Topology (Imagine with).

It was mostly some Edit mode tricks, using the body of the character as a basis for the Jacket, then lots of editing, converting it to sculpting to move it around (You can tell how that went). All I need for next time is a know-how to make the cloth piece have more verts, so that my sculpts are better, so that I then can Auto-topologise it.

For putting it in Furryvne, it was mostly seamless. The "Cover" function worked mostly as intended (You can see some bits of fluff sticking out, and a huge piece of her hair in the back not covered for some reason).

A bug that I noticed was when I loaded her again, the "Cover" functions did not work. I had to disable and enable all appandage group "Cloth covers" and the body parts in the "Garments" for it all to hide again.

Super cool stuff guys. The pain of learning something new was really hitting me, but after remaking the jacket like... 3 times, things got easier and easier.

Now watch me somersault my way into forgetting what I did.
    Regardless, this is definetly something I can do to most, and maybe all characters. I mostly have to nail down my sculpting and Vert effectiveness.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Cool stuff @Craket! It's fun to see your progression and hearing your thoughts throught the process.

Thanks for sharing that cover bug. I'll have it fix in a patch release.
  • [Emmim Added]
    I do not think I have ever encountered a tricky little issue that I have while making Emmim.

Emmim is a fairly simple character, turned out to be quite complex here or there. Also got used to actually making more models or editing models for the sake of conceptual showcase.

Anyway, Emmim is asymmetrical, and as such some parts just Can NOT work with that. Either I make 2 parts, but manually "mirror" them, and as such they wont be mirrored. Or I mirror them, but they both cannot be separate colours.

The left and right ears are separate colours, so there was no way to mirror one with the other. I had to make 2 parts, one that mirrors but is inside the original. You can spot that its not entirely flawless in my part placements.

Am I missing something or is there no way to have a mirrored version of a part asset?
    (To clarify, by mirrored I mean something pointing left is now pointing right, not that there are now two objects mirroring eachother).

I also got to use the new photo mode, I didnt test before until I was really going to be using it, and I knew it that there would be bugs regarding the FOV maintaining itself outside of camera mode. Not a big issue or anything, just a small nuisance. Just need to re-adjust the fov again.

But the new photo-mode is awesome!
  • odesodes Administrator
    Craket,

Ah, that's a good point. I don't think there's a way to "mirror" a single part itself. That's something I'll have to look into.

With FOV maintaining itself, you mean the FOV doesn't reset when switching away from it? Or you mean it shouldn't reset? (Because it resets just fine for me and I can't seem to reproduce an issue where it doesn't reset.)
  • Anyways. the new update is great. Minus the many bugs that is now fixed, the update itself has forced me to learn Blender for real. Im now much better with blender than I was before because of you guys.

But honestly, the systems put in place is starting to pile up a lot, things are getting jenga towery, no? Prime time to start on interactions, although as I suggest this, you guys already have :P

In one big way, this update is not for me. It is for those crazy folk that make nutty assets. Again, to keep up, I had to start learning Blender and it was frustrating but ended well.

One more thing that needs to be set in place for FurVNE Cc, is movement simulations for parts that have them. Like Tails. I oughta hold off from making edits to my characters (Because that is exhausting, but also...) because making the character look good even during movement is equally an important factor. I have held that notion in my mind making these characters ever since the very beginning. And this update kind of feels like the last update before making what I assume most people come for.

It is all an anticipation for interactions, and it will be a huge milestone if you guys manage to get that right. Im rooting for you guys!

Here is some motivation...

There is another furry VR sex app in patreon earning about 25k. Real kudos to the creators for achieving that. The app itself is pretty good, but there is not much going on. Same scenes, same characters. There is only so much one can do. Its not bad, but it definitely satisfies the audience.

You guys on the other hand are close to reaching that milestone which will haul every furry and their friends to you.

Is there any way I can personally help in signal boosting FurVNE to the targeted masses before or after the inevitable? I was thinking of posting pictures of my characters to furaffinity (at least). Dont know how e621 would tolerate it.

Well, I know it is going to be a while before the main dish, but the potential is through the roof for you guys and I can only hope the landing goes swimmingly.
    Could a Beta test help? Or is releasing interactions silently to patrons to use, before giving any big notice the better way of doing things? That way, you could squash and iron out any bugs before it becomes popular.

Regardless, I will be interested to hear any plans or opinions that you guys have with this topic. Heck, I dont even know if it is even a good idea to think about it even.