Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Issue?] Contrast Layer makes gradience masks riggid

I do not know if this is an issue pre-patch or post-patch.
I also do not know if this is an expected consequence of the filter contrast layer as I have not noticed this until now.

Basically, any mask that has some gradience to it will gradient riggidly in a very obvious manner. Especially if done in small scales (The riggid effect becomes noticable) and between contrasting colours (Easier to see). I know that the gradience of the mask tools are actually riggid but in very small subtle ways. Filter Contrast just blows it up.

Up to you guys to make the verdict.

LEVELS filter layer does something similar.

That is a Radial gradient that eases out, inputGamma makes it pretty solid. Again, I do not know if this is intended or not since these are pretty advanced layers to make work right.

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    That contrast does this, regardless if changing settings or not, is a bug. Just adding a filter and it instantly degrading quality is not intentional.

We've built this layer based of a 3rd party library. I've managed to reproduce this issue in a simple environment and have submitted a bug report. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon.

Levels doesn't seem to have this issue (as in, just adding the layer won't degrade quality). However, altering the setting will make the inherent quality limitations more noticeable. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.

I'll get back to you regarding the progress of this issue.