Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a proper use for Physics IK?

I feel kinda dumb for asking, but what is IK, and what would be a good example of proper use?

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited September 2015
    The way physics IK works is this:

1. There is a virtual point placed on hands / feet when starting an interaction (play)
    2. These virtual points are parented to hip, i.e. as hip moves, so do these points.
    3. Physics IK targets are connected to these virtual points, but with a spring. So for example, if the hip moves forward (and thus the virtual points as well), and then back, then there will be a rubber-band effect to the IK targets.

How to use? Well, any way you want! For example, it's a nice way to get an overlap effect to legs. Imagine a pose where the female is lying on her back, legs up, being rammed. Then it would be nice with overlap for the legs.
  • Hmmm still having a hard time understanding how to use it, and what it adds. I have an interaction like that, many, and when I use it, the hands and feet just fly all over the place.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited 6:22AM
    Try increasing the springs. Also, when playing the interaction, try enabling "Visualize" in the Physics IK pane.
  • edited September 2015
    Is the character supposed to look like he is hopping into the air? like making little jumps? Or his feet sinking into the floor? gives me the feeling I'm not using it right.
  • odesodes Administrator
    And yeah, I think it's quite buggy right now. I'm having a look at it. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Ah, that would explain it, it just didn't look right at all to me lol.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Yep, some major issues there. Several. Not sure how I haven't noticed this before. This is fixed for 0.3.2.

Thanks again for pointing this out! Very important fix.
  • No problem! glad I could help!
  • odesodes Administrator
    fyi, I think this was caused by the 5.1.3 upgrade, but I'm not entirely certain. Some other things, like the loading, stopped working as well with it, and the solution for both of these problems were basically the same.