Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can I get a quick how to make and preview skins in substance painter?

I have pretty much no clue what i'm doing and the wiki doesn't say anything for it.

Comments

• edited November 2019
    A couple YouTube videos will probably be a better teacher than my messy little tutorial, so try looking up Substance Painter for beginners if need be.

File>New - Select mesh - Navigate to the Yiffalicious characters .fbx files you downloaded & choose one - from here you can also import the original skin of the character to use, or do that later (You can always start a skin from scratch) - click OK. This will get you started on being able to look at & paint the character.

Alt + mouse buttons are how you navigate the viewports & look at different parts of the model. Alt + Left Click rotates around, Alt + Middle Click drags things around, Alt + Right Click zooms in or out.

If you want to start off with one of the default skins, import the skin .png to the shelf, make a new fill layer (The little paint bucket icon near top right) & drag & drop the skin to Base Color, bottom right toolbar. Then you start painting on layers, the ones next to the fill layers top right. Choose a color in Base Color for your brush, maybe change your brush size/shape if need be & just start painting on the 3D model.

If you can't reach some spots on the model painting it in 3D, then you can paint the flattened/unwrapped version. On the bottom right tool panel change the Alignment to UV & the Size Space to texture & you'll be able to paint properly on the unwrapped model.

Once you want to try it out in game, File>Export Textures - Export - Open Folder - Rename the main file that actually has the skin to "_MainTex" - Place the _MainTex skin into the appropriate skin slot for whatever character it is.

I'd say don't be too afraid to experiment with all the buttons & options provided, just try & remember what they were set to originally if you end up with something less optimal than before. And don't forget to make lots of layers (If your PC can handle it) & name them accordingly. A layer for every part or every color you put onto the character really helps if you need to go back & edit something, or tweak something without messing up things around it.
  • Unfortunately for me I cant just load a mesh when I do substance throws an error then renders nothing.

[Scene 3D] Errors have been found while splitting meshes per UV tile:
    Mesh 'IlinirSweppedManeWig' has a face spanning across multiple tiles: UV tile 2, 2 (UDIM 1023) with vertex at U=1.97352, V=2.04409

this is currently only happening with yiffalicious models, everything else seems to open fine