Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Masculine heads

Are you planning on adding more masculine head shapes to the game? All the current ones look like children and don't fit the muscled body type at all. The masculinity slider does nothing either.
I was really looking forward to this character creator and this has been such a huge letdown for me. :(

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    The masculinity slider only affects the face, nothing else. Only body types affect body.

I agree the faces don't feel very masculine and don't fit well with the muscled body types. I have made dogson aware and provided an example for him. Let's see where that leads.
  • So, any plans for more realistic heads in general? The cartoony stuff has it's uses, of course, but those uses are somewhat limited, especially for someone like me who likes to keep designs somewhat grounded rather than going ham on the exaggeration. Alternative heads looking like something in the ballpark of this would fit the bill nicely; I guess you could call it stylized realism in terms of art direction.

Ideally, you'd want to make both a cartoony and a realistic version for every kind of head, but that's obviously a tall order in terms of workload. User-made bodyparts were a part of the plan, though, weren't they? That would be handy, as I suspect adequate results could be achieved just by tweaking the base models, something even us complete noobs to 3D modelling can do easily enough.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Dogson and I have met today in Stockholm to take care of business related matters. During the lunch we had together, we discussed different ways how we could tackle the challenge of offering more types of faces. We believe we should be able to do for heads what we have done for body types - offering a selection of different ones that can be applied according to a slider. That would make it possible to add keep on adding more and more facial types over time, rather than just having a "feminine" or "masculine" shape. (Those shapes would just be two among many other ones.)

@Brownmane

Wow, bagheera, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Nice to see he's still around. I didn't know.
  • Good to hear, always nice to have more flexibility right out of the box.

There's quite a lot of people from the VCL days (and from even before that) still running around, it turns out. Never saw Bagheera's work there back then myself, though, but I wish I had. Quality stuff.
  • Maybe you could make the size of some facial features adjustable? The current faces could end up looking ok with some tweaking (bigger snout/chin/jaw, smaller eyes).

I like the example you posted. Here are some of mine:
    Do you think heads like these would be possible?
  • Since I've been messing with blender and YL2 a bunch I thought I'd try my hand at making a more masculine head. I'm a beginner at blender so it's still real rough but thought I'd show it anyway.

I didn't really spend much time on making a character. It's just to show off the head.
  • It looks amazing, i loved <3
  • That looks pretty neat, dude. Could you please share it somewhere?
  • Are there any plans on letting people import custom heads and/or other body parts?
    I assume those would require to be processed through the batch tools to be usable in the game?
  • I suppouse the problem of using our own head models is that it probably wont be able to work with expressions very well. Maybe im wrong!
  • I'm working on adding bones to the head so I can change expression in blender.