Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Quick Tip and Supply] Detail Texture! And how to use them!

edited July 2020 in Characters
Ok so I figured it out, I think... ... by downloading some Normal Maps from sites.

Go to MaterialHandler > DetailTexture and import and add your Normal Maps.
Here is 2

Fur and Skin. However, I dont think it will look good on fur regardless, ive been experimenting briefly. Feel free to prove me wrong, im going to continue to try anyway.
Take these two images into your library of textures.

Use the TILING on each body part to increase/Decreese the "Effectiveness" (But its just the size of the texture). Note, there will still be visible seams here and there. Its up to you to get rid of them/make them less visible.

But the entire Character will be wrapped in this normal map. To hide certain parts from this texture, go to:
TextureBuilder>Layer and make a DetailMask

Use a Mask that covers the areas you want it to affect, make a big operation mask for that. And check the CLEAR mark, or else it wont work for some reason.

An example of how it looks in the end.

"Fur" texture on the left, and none of it on the right.

The normal maps usually show them selves easy if the surface is shiny, or is divided between light and dark. In monotone shadows or lights, it will be pretty invisible. As well as if the surface (Like in the example) is also pretty bright.

This is how I would do Fur

Stretch the X axis (on the body in this example at least), Offset so any seams are in least visible areas.
I would also keep the fur surface smoothness levels pretty low, or else they will look wet or gooey.

Regardless, Fur Normal Maps may not be exactly as desirable. I would advise to not rely on normal maps fur to look like fur, if you feel like it looks a bit off in your creation, then dont do it. Try adding a fur texture mask instead of a fur normal maps texture.

But for Scales, skin etc, its amazing! I mean, look at WuiWuWa's gloves!

They Now Look Like Leather Gloves!