Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Graphics Card?

What is the best/most preferred graphics card to run with Yiffalicious?  The current one I have is just a standard Intel card (I think), and it makes the game look slow and laggy.

Comments

• I would recommend most of geforce cards from mid-range and high-end such as GTS, GTX and 9xxxGT.
    These are in resonable prices, but if you are asking for the best one I guess it would be the one from top ranking.
    Currently GTX titan X is the best overall but it's expenisve and i don't think such device is necessary for Yiffalicious. Personally I have GTX960 and it's dealing great with stuff more demanding than our beloved app.
    According to official Yiffalicious recommended setup everything better than geforce 460 will work fine.
    If I had low budget I would look on geforce 500 family.

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 3:53AM
    Any dedicated graphics card will do immensely better than the integrated intel one. Obviously a more expensive one will do better, but any modern card will do good. If I was buying a card today for gaming in general, it would be a GeForce 960. Currently I have a 760 myself.
  • edited 3:53AM
    @odes are there any good ones that cost less than $200?  
  • odesodes Administrator
    I really am not the right person to ask tbh. I hardly play video games anymore so I haven't done my homework about the current state of affairs.

Tomshardware always had nice articles though.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
    @odes oh ok.

And if I could say something about 5.0b: I'm a bit disappointed.  It's slow, laggy, and anchors sometimes detach from the models when manipulated.  Maybe you guys could address these in 5.1.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited February 2016
    lovalicious said: And if I could say something about 5.0b: I'm a bit disappointed.  It's slow, laggy, and anchors sometimes detach from the models when manipulated.  Maybe you guys could address these in 5.1.
    Thanks for raising these concerns.

Performance has unfortunately been a huge issue for most people upgrading to Unity 5.3. Please know we too are frustrated about this. It's really heart breaking seeing your game perform so badly when it previously performed a lot better. But if we want new features, we have to upgrade. Unity is investing a lot into VR and we want to benefit from that work. (Although we haven't quite gotten VR to work satisfactory yet, at least partly due to known and verified bugs that will be fixed in future versions of Unity.)

I know if might sound cheap blaming the engine, but really where it's at right now people are so frustrated and angry with Unity because of the constant stream of bugs, regressions and performance issues. Unity 5 has been a complete clusterfuck so far. Even moderators on their own forum have described it as being a "turd of instability".

When you say that anchors detach, is that when using the gizmos or when dragging the anchor itself (circle)? Because 0.5.1 will introduce entirely new gizmos.
    @odes So far, for me, it's when I drag the anchor itself.  And I'm not sure if this is also related, but it's been going on for a while for me before 5.0b. Say, for example, I have Horse attached to Giraffe.  I shift control to Giraffe using the Thrusting option, and then lower her distance. When I do this, the axis wheel dislocates from her model the lower her distance is.  So say that, going through this, I have 0 distance for her, and try to edit her model: whenever I try to move or adjust her, she'll first spring up to where the dislocated axis wheel is, and then I adjust her normally.  It throws me off doing this, especially if I have her anchored anywhere.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Yeah that's a known issue - having control 0 and another distance will cause the anchor to behave oddly. I've been wanting to fix this but haven't had time.
  • edited February 2016
    On the topic of the original post, if you live in the USA, Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, or the UK, you can use www.pcpartpicker.com as a price aggregator to compare prices on graphics cards. It has highly customizable filters so you can find what you want.

I don't personally recommend any graphics card with less than 4GB of video memory at this time. Inside your budget, it looks like the AMD Radeon R9 380 is the best value, available at around $185. However, for just a bit more ($200 at the time of this writing), you can pick up an R9 380X which is a significant improvement.

I use an R9 290X and it has zero problem rendering Yiffalicious regardless of number of characters or which level I'm on; I suspect the 380X won't be too far behind. Just make sure your power supply is up to snuff; high-end graphics cards can really suck down the power. If you have any questions I'm happy to help with part selection; it's a hobby of mine. :)