Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guide: Want to use a custom image for your base color? No problem!

EDIT: Fun Fact: Just use a fuckin PBR layer. And remember not to make a guide before trying every layer type, otherwise you wind up looking like me, and making a way more complicated guide!! I leave this thread as a monument to my shame.

It's easy!

Step 1: Make sure your image is a square .png with dimensions of 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, or 4096x4096. Here's what I'll be using for this little guide:

Step 2: Import your image to FurryVNE with the "+" next to the "Local Assets" tree:

Step 3: In the dialogue that pops up, make sure you select "Import as: Mask":

Step 4: Under the TextureBuilder > Layers tree for whichever part you're applying the image, create 3 texture layers named thusly. "BaseColor" is just a folder I put them in, so don't worry about that. You may consider doing the same, though.

Step 5: Do the same thing in the appropriate "Masks" tree, as well, creating 3 "Texture" masks and naming them as above.

Step 6: For BaseColorR, change the settings to match mine. Make a new color that is 100% red (255, 0, 0) and change the albedo blend mode to "Difference". Assign the "BaseMaskR" texture mask that you made to it, too. Make sure Emission, Metalness, and Smoothness opacities are all zero!

Step 7: Do the same for the remaining 2 texture layers, making sure the "BaseColorG" layer is 100% green (0,255,0) and the "BaseColorB" layer is 100% blue (0,0,255) and both use "Difference" for their albedo blend mode.

Step 8: Now you just need to assign the appropriate color channels to the corresponding texture masks you made. For "BaseMaskR", assign the R channel from your imported image when selecting its texture. Do the same for green and blue, and suddenly:

Use this to assign texture maps you made in external programs, like Substance Painter, Mudbox, or Photoshop!

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    You can just use a PBR layer and texture imported as map.
  • I'm a fucken dingus! I leave this thread open to display my shame.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Idk, in a way it was ingenious. Would have been a really cool tip if there wasn't a PBR layer. :wink:
  • edited November 2021
    Even though the method by which you created a custom image is more complicated, it is still correct. Do not consider yourself a fool because of this. I am sure any other person would go the easiest way, but you are not that kind of person. You have chosen a more difficult, more interesting path. Although people say that laziness is the engine of progress, this is not entirely true. People like you usually turn the industry upside down. Laziness cannot advance progress, laziness only slows it down. I am sure Bill Gates would never have become one of the richest people if he had been lazy. Even popular stars in TikTok spend a huge amount of time learning how to pose for selfies. So never doubt yourself!