Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FurryVNE public builds?

Just wondering if there will be any public builds for FurryVNE? I'd like to try it at some point but i can't afford the asking price as it is due to IRL issues i'm having at the moment.

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    FurryVNE will eventually go public in some form, but you will need to pledge to get access to the full experience. The tiers will also be remade at some point. More information about this will be posted closer to public release.
  • Good to know all that, thanks.
  • by full experience, will the public release be able to at least create interactions and such just like in YL? Will they at least be able to make a few custom characters for personal use?

• @yaboicarz
    I'd speculate that the character customizer will be in the public releases, at least with a few basic parts to play around with. I'm guessing that, similarly to Yiffalicious' releases, the plan is for the available parts to be a few versions behind the paid releases, so as to keep things interesting for the free branch.

I'm not quite so sure about what they've got in mind for interactions, though. They're obviously going to be the big selling point of the software, so I imagine they're going to put some restrictions on what the public releases can do on that front. The way I'd personally do it if I were in charge would be to allow the free release users to create interactions with characters they've themselves made, but restrict their ability to use characters from the cloud (perhaps to only the ones they'd have the parts to make themselves on their given version of the public release, and definitely disable the ability to make an iteration of an existing character, both to curb a glut of them appearing in the cloud and as a subtle incentive to get the paid version) and have only a curated selection of interactions they can view in the cloud, probably a few official demonstrations of what the software can do, plus a few user-made ones for a taste of what the community can do. Hmm, could also be a potential venue of building community engagement, there, to have some mechanism for users (both paid and free) to have some input on what interactions get inducted into the public collection, maybe a regularly occurring vote. Would probably need to be a list picked by staff to ensure compatibility with any given public release's available parts/features, though.

However, I'd still allow for interactions and characters to be saved and opened locally (not the ones loaded from the cloud first, though, of course), which would inevitably result in them being uploaded and shared on third-party websites. I see that as a reasonable compromise, as it means people looking for unofficial freebies will need to put in a bit of extra effort to make and/or find them, and then deal with potential version incompatibility issues due to unavailable character parts and/or interaction features, which means they might eventually be tempted to buy into the paid branch without really feeling like they're being forced into it. As the saying goes: piracy is almost always a service problem, not a pricing problem.