Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia Shadowplay

Hi all fine people. 
  I was wondering if any of you use Nvidia Shadowplay to record. I am trying to get it to work, but the overlay icon is not showing and the "Allow to record desktop" is grayed out. Have been googling for the last 90 minutes and nothing seems to do the trick. I have a gtx 960 and my drivers are up to date. Any help is appreciated. 

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 12:59AM
    Shadowplay has behaved oddly for me lately. My option to record has disappeared entirely. I think uninstalling geforce experience and reverting to an older version might help honestly.
  • edited 12:59AM
    I stumbled upon a bit of information, but I do not know if it will work. I will have to try it, when I'm at the computer again. If it works, I will post links here, so you might see if it fixes your problems too.
    Yep, that did the trick! 
    What OS do you have? If it is Windows 8.X or 10, then I do not know how to fix it, this works for Windows 7, but now It works :)
  • odesodes Administrator
    Win 7.
    Well, great. Now I can't find the link again :neutral: But, luckily, it is easy to do and remember :)
      You have to activate Windows 7's Aero theme. If that does not do the complete trick, go to Computer properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced tap --> Performance Settings. Either choose Custom or Adjust for best appearance, but make sure that "Use visual styles on windows and buttons".
      The reason for this is, as far as I could understand from their explanation, is, that Shadowplay is wired to expect that your desktop is set up to use that theme and as a way to streamline their own software. Why should this be nessacery? Your guess is as good as mine.
    I'm sure it has to do with the fact that disabling Aero in 7 disables hardware-accelerated desktop composition. Basically, Shadowplay probably works by sampling the framebuffer composited in video memory but with Aero disabled there is no such thing.
  • odesodes Administrator
    I'm not sure what was the issue in my case since I'm using Aero, but I did a new install of the latest WHQL approved software and drivers (performing a clean install), and now shadowplay option shows again for me.
    @ragepro ;
    It's this. And it's not only desktop composition, in some drivers (Intel GMA for example) if you have Aero disabled, you don't even have video playback acceleration. The driver installation detects this, warns you and gives you the (enabled by default) option to enable Aero after restart.
    Maybe that's why I saw so many having issues with Shadowplay on Windows 10.
    I use Fraps for my recording haven't really touched Shadow Play. Granted the footage takes up a lot of space (1080p 60+fps is huge) but it still runs well I only think a few games give issues, granted I haven't tested it with Yiffalicious.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Shadowplay is vastly superior to fraps, so if you have a GeForce card you should really use it. :)
    I have it just haven't really tested it out, to stuck in my ways since I used it for so long :P