Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor Framerate in VR

edited 1:11AM in Issues
For whatever reason, my frame rate is terrible (like 15-20 fps) constantly while in VR. It's the same way using both my Rift and my Vive. I have a pretty good rig and don't have any performance issues with any other games. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 1:11AM
    What is your rig? Mine is a mix of components and about 6 years old (although the gfx was upgraded some years ago to geforce 760), and I get about 40-90 fps depending on scene. That seems reasonable considering my rig is hardly VR ready.
  • edited 1:11AM
    Hi NaughtyNelly how did you get the game running on the Vive? I posted questions about this in the "Vr on HTC now works" thread days ago but no one answered, would be grateful to know how you have this working?
    Is it with revive/oculus home for the Vive or does the game now have steam Vr support for the Vive?
    Sorry for jumping in this thread.

Maybe you could help me Odes?
    I have a GTX 970 with an AMD FX-4100. Older chip, I know, but I've been able to run all VR games without a hitch. But for whatever reason, this game is kicking its butt. Maybe a lack of optimization or something? But no one else seems to be having this problem, so maybe not that.

And Vr_Vive, I got it working using the instructions on that thread. Download the Revive injector, copy the files to the Yiffalicious folder, and drop yiffalicious.exe onto ReviveInjector_x64.exe in the same folder. I'm really looking forward to native VR support! I think that will clear up both of our headaches. :wink: 
    I too am having very poor frame rate in VR. The on screen window of the game is perfect but the video in the Vive is very low frame rate and the Vive settings manager is giving a missed frame warnings. My rig is an I7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz, 24GB DDR3 ram and a Nvidia 980 Ti graphics card. I've had no issues with any other game. Also I use other stand alone games with revive and no frame rate issues with them either.
  • odesodes Administrator
    I'm hoping this is an issue with Revive, and that it will go away once Yiffalicious gets native Vive support.
    Bumping to also inform that the motion-tracking is stuttering on the Vive for me. It's not awful if you're still (which is how you should be when in POV mode ;)) but looking up/down can take you out a bit.

It's updating about 10 times every second (so once every 100ms), so it's tolerable, but I'm looking forward to the official Vive build. Kudos to odes and the rest of the team for implementing VR  <3
    Thanks NaughtyNelly, I`ll wait for the Vive/SteamVr support, don't really want to use Home/revive
    Usicco are you sure it is a tracking problem? I too thought that it was the Vive tracking being flaky but for me I used the Vive diagnostics and a GPU monitor and found out that anything over minimum settings and any more than 2-3 character models on screen would Max out my 980 Ti and it was a frame rate issue dropping to 45-65 fps. 
    DblHelix said: Usicco are you sure it is a tracking problem?
    I don't have any numbers, but I will say
    I don't have any numbers, but I will say minimum settings also still give me jittering issues. Being still shows no frame-loss, so I'm pretty sure updating the positional tracking too quickly is what's causing the stuttering. Not to say that it's not dropping frames, just that the game only does so if you move your head.
    So I upgraded my CPU to an i7 6700k with my gtx 970 and even with the 0.6 build (not using revive), I still get frame drops like crazy - even on minimal settings. Strangely, it seems to be dropping frames more often when I'm looking at a downward angle? Sometimes, with only 1 or 2 models and at the right angle - it will run smooth. I am sad. I had a lot of hope that the native VR build would resolve a lot of these issues.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited August 2016
    Ambient occlusion and real time reflections kill performance. Are these off? (Note: In Menu > Graphics, not in launcher settings.)

I've got a 6 year old i5 and a geforce 760, and scenes with 2-4 characters work fine when ao and ssrr are disabled (fantastic settings in general).

Right now single pass stereo is not enabled either. It's basically a tech that render both frames for left and right eye at the same time and thus see an 100% increase in rendering performance (although there's more than rendering going on). This tech doesn't work with 970 though (new for 10x0 series).
  • odesodes Administrator
    AO does kill performance even more when close up to things. So I'm thinking that's it.

I get around 60-75 frames on my GeForce 760 in Spa level using 2 characters in play mode. Fullscreen 1080p. Tessellation, AO and SSRR are off. With your setup you should be able to have tessellation on in VR.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    i've got an nVidia GTX660, it's not the top of the line card, but I know it was able to handle VR back when i was playing with a friends DK2.

streaming over usb instead of wifi helps a little, but for some reason as soon as i add the dragoness or more than one mirror to a scene the FPS on the HMD plummets.

i can have the fox and cat interacting, and it's fine, but a new scene with just the dragoness makes the frame rate less than a few frames per second.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Are you using translucency? That is very resource heavy right now.
    So I turned off ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, and tessellation and the frame rate improved a good bit, but it's still not perfect. Before, it would drop frames steadily at a regular rate, now it's kind of in random bursts. I noticed it's better on other scenes than the castle scene, but can still happen if I look at models at a certain angle, etc. Also, what is SSRR? I couldn't find anything that matched that acronym. :tongue:

Thanks for your help, odes!

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited August 2016

NaughtyNelly said: Also, what is SSRR

SSRR = screen-space raytraced reflections, listed as "realtime reflections" under Graphics in game.

Good example is the super glossy counter top in the kittchen of the ocean house.

• odesodes Administrator
    NaughtyNelly said: Thanks for your help, odes!
    Glad it is somewhat sorted. I will try to improve VR performance in upcoming builds. Need to build an interface for VR too so can try to get better VR performance at the same time. Probably not for 0.6.1 tho because that is all cloud stuff. 
    Eureka!!!! I found the problem! Vsync!!!! I turned Vsync off and set the default frame rate to 90 (optimal frame rate for the Vive) and everything ran flawlessly!! Absolutely zero dropped frames no matter how or which way I turned. It's working perfectly now. Don't ask my to explain why that fixed it but just wanted to share that it did so maybe it will help others. 
  • odesodes Administrator
    Nice work NaughtyNelly! I should have thought about that. Vsync is known to cause some real big slow downs. I thought it was disabled by default when VR is enabled in Unity, but apparently not.

Did you turn off Vsync inside the game or in your graphics cards settings?
    Just inside the game. The effect was instant, I didn't even have to restart.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited August 2016
    Awesome, great. That means I can control it from script. I think I'll disable certain features by default in VR to maximize framerates, Vsync and AO among them.