Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Difficult Will Custom Characters Be?

I saw that you guys are working on custom characters, And i had a few questions about it.

Will it be more of a Character Editor, Where you can take a base model and modify/add things to it? Or will it just be a way to import characters you have made on your own, into the game?

How complicated will it be? I have absolutely 0 skill or experience in 3D modeling or anything like that, I know that may not be the case for everybody, But i was just wondering, Whatever the custom character system is, Will it be usable by someone with 0 experience?    

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 2:44AM
    Custom character authoring will be targeted to people with 3D experience. Whether or not it will be usable by you is entirely up to your skill and how much you are willing to learn and evolve.
  • edited 2:44AM
    What would be the place to start?
  • edited June 2016
    To get started, I recommend Blender, because almost anything can be done with it and compatible with the Unity, morever it's free  :) . But I was a month ago I started to learn the Blender and I still do almost nothing. Using be acquired within about one year. A lot of time and patience to learn, and even more for creation.  Depending on the level of detail to even months may Create a character.

• odesodes Administrator
    edited June 2016
    Ath69 said: What would be the place to start?
    It entirely depends on what you want to do. We'll be providing example characters that have all the required features to be successfully imported into the game. Just modding these can be a start, and a great way to learn how to do things. But if you truly want to create your unique characters, that's quite another matter entirely. You will have to learn:

Sculpting - Hard
    Retopologizing / Mesh flow & optimization -  Hard, especially with the constraints and requirements we have
    UV mapping / seams / unwrapping - Not hard, but does require some training
    Texturing - Depending on what you do, it's either hard or easy. Flat colors are really easy to do while realistic ones with patterns and such is a lot harder.
    Rigging - Simple, but meticulous and tedious
    Skinning - Hard
    Vertex coloring - Not that hard but you need to understand what you're doing
    Special setups for Yiffalicious - Not that hard, but will require some getting used to
    Blend shape authoring - Like sculpting

I don't expect any newcomers to be able to create their own characters. They might be able to mod example characters or any characters that others have distributed, but creating a character from scratch is very hard. I don't expect anyone but very skilled hobbyists or professionals to be able to do this.
    Hmmmmm. A challenge, I like it. 
    odes said: Sculpting - Hard
    Retopologizing / Mesh flow & optimization -  Hard, especially with the constraints and requirements we have
    UV mapping / seams / unwrapping - Not hard, but does require some training
    Texturing - Depending on what you do, it's either hard or easy. Flat colors are really easy to do while realistic ones with patterns and such is a lot harder.
    Rigging - Simple, but meticulous and tedious
    Skinning - Hard
    Vertex coloring - Not that hard but you need to understand what you're doing
    Special setups for Yiffalicious - Not that hard, but will require some getting used to
    Blend shape authoring - Like sculpting
    I would find extremely cool to see how Dogson does all this. Any chances of Dogson doing video-captures of some time of every step and then release a video montage so we can see the work behind the models?
    Also it can be like a good answer to the questions about "how do I do a model from scratch"?
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited 2:44AM
    The vision is to provide extensive documentation, examples and videos once we get there.
    Hello, I'm rather new to all this, but Ive been making mesh bodies for years, and have much experience with making furry bodies, if you would permit me, i would like to share: http://puu.sh/q1QHk/ef80890226.jpg   http://puu.sh/pTQMf/864f503a41.png    http://puu.sh/psf35/9273766814.png

I would be more than happy to make mesh for you, you seem to be very smart and have a great program V^___^V