Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buildings\Rooms as props

edited 2:25AM in Suggestions
Hello,
This concept up a couple of times in past posts, but I am not sure if it was ever addressed directly. Would it at all be possible to have pieces of buildings, such as walls, doors, floors, ceilings etc, be made available as props? This could a simpler form of map editing and could potentially add a lot of variety to scenes, with customized rooms etc. Since you guys have already been creating buildings, would it be possible to create props using those same resources, or alongside them?

Comments

• edited 2:25AM
    Just bumping an old thread. The devs or anybody have any thoughts on this? It just seems like it would be a good way to add tons of variety to scenes as the options could be expanded over time.
    I for one need a bit more detail about this concept. How do you mean, use as props?
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 2:25AM
    sounds like they want something like in Fallout 4 where you have building part 'prefabs' that you can place.
    Prefabs are a good way to picture it. I was thinking that since the devs have been working on props and maps, if there would be a way to combine that process so that pieces of the new buildings, furniture, etc, could be props themselves.

I would think that the ideal map for having larger props like this would be just a flat empty space. Some kind of "snap to grid" function would probably make fitting the pieces together easier, but wouldn't be required. The walls, floors and door sizes could be standardized to help with that as well.

I am not suggesting that too much time and resources be devoted to an entire map editor per say, but that the idea could be simulated by expanding on the current props.

Imagine the crazy scenes that could be made if people could put together their own rooms, furniture and structures. This would enable a lot of additional fetishes. As the program continues to be developed over time, more and more pieces could be added which would add exponential variety. In a way, this functionality might even be easier for the devs in the long run as a whole bunch of new scenes could be created without having to make entire maps.
    Don't know if it would be possible, but how about, for starters, an anchor point as a prop? And if it then could have some animations tied to it, so it can move a bit on all three axis. Kind of an invisible character, with only a single anchor node, which then can be set to move X units and transformed/ translocated. As with the direction arrow on the penis, the direction could be shown and the length of the arrow shows how far it travels. This way, one could simulate various types of interactions. @odes, just to give you an fairly easy thing to implement :)
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    DrunkDragon said: anchor point as a prop

so basically, a prop that would do away with the need to tie objects to off screen penetrations?
    Yes. As of now, that is the simplest and cleanest way I see it.
    Mind you, I have no knowledge of how the Unity engine works, but from what I've seen, it would be fairly easy to do. Mostly copy/ paste functions, edit a bit here and there...
  • DogsonDogson Administrator
    Don't know about making rooms as props, but it got me thinking of perhaps there might be modular pieces that can form a level in the future if we'll get on for that long, it's an interesting possibility. 

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments
    Yeah, the term Modular Environments is a also good description of what I was trying to suggest. Instead of building large static maps, you guys could instead build the buildings and furniture separately then let users place them as needed on a blank map, or something along those lines.