Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tweaks to My uploads + Tags (and sql performance)

jei3jei3 Moderator
edited 8:23PM in Suggestions
I'm not sure the best way to fix this, but wanted to point it out as a possible point of improvement.

I was browsing through tags and had a tag still in the search box when I clicked on "My Uploads".

Since the tag I was searching wasn't in any of my uploads I didn't get any results, however the problem was that it sat for ~16 seconds before telling me this.

My first thought was that the tags box should be cleared when you click on the "My uploads" tab, but I could see how this would be perceived to be broken, so i'm not sure how best to resolve this.

This also got me thinking as to why the delay occurred in the first place. I assume the long delay is based on the new backoff put in place to reduce some of the server side errors and was wondering if DB performance might be involved.

I only rarely use MySQL (mostly do MSSQL and Oracle) but i've found a number of resources online saying a separate SELECT and COUNT are often much faster than a SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/186588/which-is-fastest-select-sql-calc-found-rows-from-table-or-select-count

Has this been considered? Especially since the tags table is just going to increase in row count over time.

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 8:23PM
    It has nothing to do with the SQL. The SQL statements complete in a couple of milliseconds. I can literally just do a "SELECT 1 FROM Users" and sometimes it won't even complete. I'm not sure why, but for some reason the google cloud sql service becomes unavailable at times. I should probably contact google about this because of the frequency.