Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translocating elbow moves hand also

edited 11:42PM in Issues
This is a minor thing and it mostly affects Khana. When the hand has been placed and I want to turn the elbow away from her body, because it clips into her, it also turns her hand and then I find it can be a wee bit difficult to get her hand back to the desired location, without her whole arm trying to contort back into her body. Have noticed this a couple of times on Bunny too.

Comments

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 11:42PM
    are you talking about how the hand pivots on the anchor point?

if so, i've found that putting any amount of rotation will cause the hand to become a fixed point, and adjusting the elbow doesn't move it:

positioning the arm/hands to look right is really fidgety though.

it seems like it might be a lot of work, but i almost wish there was an option to enable rotation limits so you didn't have to worry so much about breaking the characters joints.

• edited 11:42PM
    Yeah, an option to enable/ disable max joint position would be nice.
  • edited January 2017
    @jei3 And how do you post images directly into the thread? Have tried a lot, but keeps failing.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    Odes and Dogson seem to favor gyazo, so i downloaded that, you can take screenshots with keyboard shortcuts and it directly uploads to your gyazo page. it's also really handy for short GIFs.

i then get the direct image link from the gyazo page and add it as an image url, if you're trying to directly upload screenshots from the games screenshots folder you're probably hitting a file size limit.

the screenshots are taken in a ridiculously high resolution and are huge. when i try to upload to a local instance of vanilla forums i have running i get a warning in the bottom left of my screen, do you get any message like this when you try to upload?

I take the screenshot manually, pop it into Photoshop and save it as a png. I just get the "Upload failed".
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited October 2016
    i just tried to upload a 100KB PNG and JPG with a resolution of 640x480 and it failed for me too. Doesn't seem to be a size or resolution issue.

There's something else going on, probably with the forum setup. The pretty generic vanilla forum install i'm playing around with lets me upload these same files.

vanilla tries to validate that the uploads are images, so it could even be something with how PHP and GD (or whatever is being used to process the images) is set up.
    I seem to recall, quite some time ago, I tried to upload an image directly and I got a message stating "This is not allowed here" or along those lines. But it might have been somewhere else...
  • edited January 2017
    @jei3 But thanks for all the help :) You had not needed to go through all of that!
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited January 2017
    As jei3 explained you can rotate the hand to make it fixed. If you don't it will keep the elbows orientation.

As for images - you can upload them somewhere else and then just embed them using the image function.
    @odes Thanks. Will look into both things :)
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    DrunkDragon said: You had not needed to go through all of that!
    It's no problem, I enjoy troubleshooting things :)
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    odes said: As for images - you can upload them somewhere else and then just embed them using the image function

Is uploading not supported?
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited January 2017
    jei3 said: Is uploading not supported?
    It should be, but it doesn't seem to work. Server responds with 500 error and doesn't write to log when it happens. Not sure if vanilla is swallowing that exception.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited October 2016
    i can get the same consistent "the file failed to upload" error on my server by killing the gd2 library which is used for processing images by PHP.

vanilla doesn't seem to log anything by default, not sure who thought that was a good idea, but if you add this to the config (and make sure the directory exists) it should.

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['LogEnabled']  = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['LogFile'] = 'log/error_log';

In my case the resulting error_log said:
    24 Oct 2016 - 00:02:59 127.0.0.1 Garden Exception: The uploaded file could not be processed because GD is not installed.

• odesodes Administrator
    Should be working now but not sure I want to keep it that way. People might upload improper or even illegal files, and I'd be responsible for that being the site owner. Linking may be a safer way.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    there's a handy plugin for Vanilla: Advanced Editor Config that will let you disable uploads and enable an image url only dropdown.

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    also, a more integrated way of sharing screenshots might be neat at some point ;) that would help mitigate the illegal file worry, if you uploaded directly from within the game.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Thanks for letting me know, using that plugin now.