Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fur Shader

edited August 2015 in Suggestions
The thought probably has occured to you already, but since I didn't find anything about it here, I'm gonna suggest using fur shaders. This one or this for example.

Comments

• edited 4:32PM
    I don't know shit about 3D modeling or programming or coding or anything of the sort, but I imagine that would add a lot of processing power requirement to the game. Plus the aesthetic of the game already looks great, not to even mention the amount of effort it would probably take to overhaul all the characters.
    As someone who has mucked about with 3D modeling and creating his own characters in software like Blender, I can tell you that adding fur that is actually displayed can be EXTREMELY taxing to a 3D engine. I don't know how unity is setup to handle it, if it even is....but as MonsterFukk said, I rather like the current aesthetic as it is...
  • DogsonDogson Administrator
    edited 4:32PM
    My feeling is that this sort of shader have still some maturing to do before we'll consider it. I, as an artist, would like to gain control over clumping together fur that would add to an interesting silhouette. I would imagine that this could be controlled with a density/height map of some sort but the little control I can make out of by looking at the examples there I don't see anything of that. 

I fear that our characters would look a lot like teddies, and plus as MasterAaran said, the furshaders out there right now are whipping the engines quite a bit and not really worth it

But I'm always ready to be pleasantly surprised and I do hope to see a fur shader in the future that offers the same deal of control as shaders for production render has.
    Should you consider giving it a try after all, go with the "imperial" fur-shader. FurFx is outdated and only partly functional (scam).

I have played around with it a little. Performance is good and applying the fur via textures (alpha-channel etc.) should be very easy for an artist. Even I manage to get nice looking effects, especially with short and dense fur. As always, you can just make it optional, so everyone can choose what they like best.