Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PNG compression level?

I'm just wondering what the correct choice here is. None/ Fast or Smallest/ Slow? And what about Interlace? None or Interlaced? Size difference is quite remarkable and have had different effects ingame. Some times it works fine, other times the colors are distorted or off, depending on how I saved it. 

Comments

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 3:59PM
    what app are you exporting from that gives you the options listed like that?

i believe i've been using interlaced and haven't noticed an issue, neither Substance Painter nor Photo-paint (the two apps i used the most) have options for changing between "none/fast" or "smallest/slow".

we may need to play around to see what works best depending on the app your using.
  • edited 3:59PM
    PS CS6. Old, I know, but got it through a job I had way back when.
    Interlaced is only used in web browsers to show big images fast while downloading on narrow band connections.
    Except for that use, there's no benefit in using interlaced images (also called progressive), and it produces bigger files.
    As for compression, PNG uses lossless compression, so the higher the better: smaller files with the exact same quality. The only minor drawback is that higher the compression, slower the decompression, but it's a minor drawback because the difference is imperceptible nowadays.
    @Horsie ;
  • edited August 2017
    PNG was developed as an open alternative to GIF, which used the proprietary LZW compression algorithm discussed earlier. This format is a lossless compression file format, which makes it a common choice for use on the Web. Unlike JPGs, which create artefacts and blur images at a certain point, a PNG file will always look at least as sharp as the original image. Unfortunately, PNG files also tend to be a bit larger than JPG files, especially when they're high resolution.

Zene