Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR on the HTC Vive now WORKS

edited May 2016 in General discussion
It's been a long time coming, but there is finally a way to get VR to work for all you Vive owners. It's a bit complicated, but here's how it goes:

1. Install Oculus Home: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
2. Install Yiffalicious (only tested on 0.5.2b, and it's fine if this is installed before Oculus Home)
3. Copy all Yiffalicious files from your "C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\%appdata%\yiffalicious\app\Yiffalicious" to "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software"
4. Download Revive Injector, direct download link: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/download/0.4.1/ReviveInjector.zip
5. Copy Revive files into C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software
6. Download OVRPlugin: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.3.2/OVRPlugin_for_Unity_5/
7. Copy the .dll file in the OVRPlugin download into "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\yiffalicious_Data\Plugins" and select yes to replace the existing file.
8. Drag the "yiffalicious.exe" in the Oculus software folder onto "ReviveInjector.exe" and viola! Working Vive in Yiffalicious!

Existing problems:
- The camera is a bit janky. Hitting F8 to reset seated position doesn't account for the Vive's roomscale offset, meaning you have to manually change the camera's rotation back to level with the mouse. Also, you have to move around with WASD controls. Once you get in a good position, roomscale works just fine. Feel free to walk around your scene full of bangin' furries!
- There is no UI in VR. This means you have to take off the headset to start the animation or reset the camera. This is very difficult and tedious, but surprisingly functional considering what a hack it is.
- Interactivity is mouse and keyboard only. The real sell for the Yiffalicious VR experience is being able to get your own angle and walk around a live scene. Keyboard/mouse definitely takes away from that.

Notes to developers!
- Special thanks to the devs for putting effort into the VR front for this game. It's definitely a transformative experience!
- UI in VR is a bit of a different beast, but it's not terribly difficult. Instead of attaching it as a 2D layer above the 3D composite in Unity, you just make it a 3D object floating in space. You don't have to put it directly in front of the camera either, just have it floating at a fixed position relative to the camera. If motion controls are out of your reach for this development cycle (although the SteamVR SDK makes this process practically drag-and-drop, and it also supports Oculus! Ooh!), maybe consider implementing Xbox360 controller controls. A simple UI with interactivity via a gamepad would make this experience way more immersive.
- If you can detect when the camera is in VR mode, set the camera rotation to always be 0,0,0. That way the HMD determines the camera's rotation and you don't get weird conflicts between world rotation and HMD rotation (Example: when I loaded one scene I found that when I was looking straight ahead IRL I was looking straight at the floor in Yiffalicious!).
- And of course, teleport locomotion. This isn't hard, but it is extra work for the benefit of just a couple of people. Traditional WASD locomotion is a very poor choice for VR games and causes nausea pretty much right away.
- If any of the devs have questions about the experience, feel free to reply or message me. I'm always happy to help!

Have fun yiffing, everybody!

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I have been using Yiffalicious in VR across multiple HMD platforms since it was released, both via real HMD SDKs and hacked solutions like Cardboard/GearVR+Riftcat/Tridef/Trinus, etc, and unfortunately I have a fairly major complaint that is embarassing to write about, but that I hope will be addressed.

Yiffalicious, presently, is the most realistic and mindblowing VR adult application in existence.. Nothing else even comes close to comparing to it, but there is one absolutely fatal flaw across every HMD I have tried, that makes it impossible to use it for sexual gratification short of a few very specific scenarios.

When pressing F8 to recenter the view in Yiffalicious, it only recenters on the Horizontal plane, but NOT the Vertical.. While this is normal and expected behaviour from almost every HMD SDK, it is completely unsuitable for a sex game.  Due to the fact there is no way to center the Vertical plane, there is no way to masturbate in VR using Yiffalicious short of standing up in the middle of your room with a towel infront of you, or sitting straight up in your chair, both of which, frankly, are awful and uncomfortable. You simply cannot enjoy a scene in VR in this game while reclining to any degree without nearly touching your chin to your chest, and lying down is completely out of the question unless you enjoy masturbating to ceiling lights or a fan. While seated, its almost equally a problem because most men, and certainly most women as well, have a tendency to recline backwards in their chair for an optimal position.. All of which results in ceiling-gazing, or staring down so hard that you give yourself a neck cramp.

-Please- fix this, guys, and spend more time with your DK2 or Vive actually enjoying the fruits of your labor so you have a better understanding of the ergonomics necessary to enjoy something like this in VR.. A sex game is a very unique type of VR experience that has very different requirements from other sitting or standing experiences, and you guys are absolutely at the forefront of the VR sex experience. Set an example for what is very much a new frontier, you guys are the flag-bearers right now -- I'd know, I've tried almost everything that has been released. This is what the VR adult community has been waiting for (well, at least those of us who are furries.. the human/anime girl crowd is still stuck with utter garbage), and all it really would have taken was one genuine session testing it to realize something was wrong.
  • edited May 2016
    If you hit tab to change the camera mode you can move around with wasd and change the camera position with right click. That seems to be what you're talking about, right?
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited May 2016
    BARKx4 said: You simply cannot enjoy a scene in VR in this game while reclining to any degree without nearly touching your chin to your chest, and lying down is completely out of the question unless you enjoy masturbating to ceiling lights or a fan.
    I'm not sure I understand this correctly. What's keeping you from using Mouse 2 to move the view around, just as you would without VR? Then you can change the default vertical orientation of the camera as you desire, in which the VR camera is moved in relation to.
  • edited May 2016
    In combination with F8, WASDQE, and Mouse 2 controls I can get just about any position and angle. That being said, the VR functionality should be built such that the IRL horizon and in-game horizon are *never* misaligned, rendering Mouse2 control unnecessary in WASD VR mode.
  • edited 7:31AM
    Cagey said: That being said, the VR functionality should be built such that the IRL horizon and in-game horizon are *never* misaligned, rendering Mouse2 control unnecessary in WASD VR mode.
    I don't know, I think it's good to be able to move it around manually. Even if it worked like you might expect it to, it could easily end up where the camera isn't positioned in a way that makes it comfortable to see anything.
    Thank you for posting this. I am able to get it working but as soon as i click or move or even sneeze, it crashes. "yiffalicious.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
      in module yiffalicious.exe at 0033:40274899." in the error log. Anyone else having this issue? Sucks that I'm so close but it just keeps crashing. 
    Update: I realized that having either of the Vive remotes turned on caused the crash. With both remotes off, it runs smooth as butter. Just wanted others to know in case they run into this.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited 7:31AM
    Nice work @NaughtyNelly!
  • edited June 2016
    Does the game now have support for the HTC Vive.?.....without having to use Revive/OculusHome/Facebook ??
    I have been following this game on and off for a long time but have been waiting for my Vr headset and the game to get VR support, and now i finally have the VR HMD part which is a Vive so I was wondering if you now have that HMD supported?
    No way I`m using Revive/Facebook.but if you have steamvr/openvr support i would love to sub man.(Take my money)

Recently tried that Playclub game (Made in Unity) which doesn't natively support Vr but someone modded the game to support the Vive with Steamvr and its cool, use the motion tracked wands for menu`s and to teleport around the scene and its room scale (as in i can walk around, stand up/sit down in my real world tracked play area and it translates 1-1 into the game)....not having to try and use a keyboard with the HMD on is massive for not breaking immersion, Its cool for seated VR too because the teleport function on the wand has a rotate function so you can get to anywhere in the scene.

This Yiff game has the ability to move IK joints and animation which is cool because if you can support the Vive wands like the guy who modded that game then you can grab the IK markers on the rig and move them exactly where you like with the wands...also grab the model and place it where you like in one quick movement.
    I would really like the First Person View when running the animation in Yiff so I`m hopeful that you can implement that too.

Here`s a few examples of the Vive wands in that Unity game that was moded

Nothing has changed since this post was first made. If you want to use this with a Vive you need to use revive.
    Cagey.
    Thank you  <3

Some tips for anyone trying this in the future.
    • Search for "Revive" on google and download from the github link. OP's links are out of date (or they were for me)
    • Make sure you download both the Revive installer and Revive Injector. You need both.
    • You don't need to run the oculus home software (but you do need to have it installed), just have the service running (Start>run>"services.msc", then search for "Oculus VR Runtime Service", right click on it to start/stop)
    • If the game crashes after you initially start up, shut down SteamVR, make sure Revive isn't in your processes in the Task Manager, and then restart Revive, then drag the game back onto the injector .exe
    Hope this helps some people!
  • edited June 2016
    usicco said: Search for "Revive" on google and download from the github link. OP's links are out of date (or they were for me)Make sure you download both the Revive installer and Revive Injector. You need both.
    Here's a link to the releases page. Also, you don't need the installer, that's only for games bought through the Oculus store.

And, to the OP, you don't need to copy the files to the Oculus folder.
    Ok thanks

B01CEF said: Nothing has changed since this post was first made. If you want to use this with a Vive you need to use revive.
    Ok thanks for the Info I`ll wait for proper Vive/SteamVr support
    NaughtyNelly said: Update: I realized that having either of the Vive remotes turned on caused the crash. With both remotes off, it runs smooth as butter. Just wanted others to know in case they run into this.
    I have found that I'm actually able to use a Vive remote in SteamVR and even look at my desktop to select in-game options on my virtual desktop. I don't have a clue why it doesn't work for you.

I will say that when/if my game ever crashes, if I restart SteamVR completely, the game runs fine.
    Seems to work pretty good, but the fps is pretty low.

• edited June 2016
    Hamjam said: fps is pretty low.
    Are you certain that the in-game fps is low? Or that head tracking is jumpy?
    Personally, I have no framerate issues, but head-tracking on the Vive is what stutters.

I also have a fairly decent gpu (gtx 780), so it might be a graphics issue depending on the settings you use when playing the game.
    I too thought that it was the Vive tracking being flaky but for me I used the Vive diagnostics and a GPU monitor  and found out that anything over minimum settings and any more than 2-3 character models on screen would Max out my 980 Ti and it was a frame rate issue dropping to 45-65 fps. 
    Unfortunatly it doesnt work for me :/ tried on 5.2 and 5.4 with injector 0.8 now and the yiff log file says 

Initialize engine version: 5.3.4f1 (fdbb5133b820)
    [VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed.

and it starts in 2D.

Did I mis something ? I did what OP did. MAybe something has changed ?
    Snork12 said: Unfortunatly it doesnt work for me
    • Did you place the proper Unity OVR .dll in the "Plugins" folder?
    • Do you have the Oculus Runtime running?
    • Do you have ReVive installed?
    • Is Yiffalicious in the "Oculus>Software" directory?
    • Is the Revive Injector in the same location of "yiffalicious.exe"?
    • Are you running "yiffalicious.exe" by dragging it onto the Revive Injector .exe?
    If you've done all that, try ending the Oculus Runtime in Services (start>run>"services.msc). End Revive in Windows Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc). Then re-enable the Oculus Runtime. Make sure SteamVR isn't running.

Drag Yiffalicious onto the Revive Injector, and see if it runs then.
    Thank you Usicco, it works !

Turns out I had everything fine but I was not using the injector properly. You must have SteamVR down before using the drag and drop on the injector. I didnt know that ;)
    I don't suppose someone can do a video tutorial on installation to get this to work with VR? No matter what I do it wont work.
  • odesodes Administrator
    @david ;
    Are you using the public build or the patron build?
    Probably public
  • odesodes Administrator
    Public build does not yet support Vive officially.
    so I just got a vive today and tried yiffalicious in it

with the desktop switch and having the dev-style orientation/location reset on another monitor it works pretty alright although the characters are GIGANTIC....which i'm kind of ok with since I like sizeplay fantasy, but are there plans on introducing some kind of scale slider for VR?

also are the injectors/revive really necessary or do they improve performance at all? I managed all of the above without doing a single special configuration or even launching the game through steamvr
    The injector is certainly necessary. Someone else said that the Revive overlay isn't, but I've had my own troubles NOT having it. I think YMMV
  • edited October 2016
    How do I get the patreon build?
  • odesodes Administrator
    Pledge $12 at our patreon and download it from here:

http://www.yiffalicious.com/download/patreon
  • edited October 2016
    Ok... so I pledged the $12, did everything it says above (even twice), and it doesn't show up under "revive". in HTC Vive. I continue on with the window version on the computer, go to menu - get wip version, and it sets me up with a window that asks me to pledge again... even when I click it, it just opens the window from "program files - oculus - software". So I guess it doesn't work with vive? How is this supposed to work?

Edit: NM, I think it works now thanks to the other previous posts.... but really really jittery.
    Oh, one last question though.... what do I do with the serial # that came with it? I never used it... and I was able to  use VR with it.