Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback on Dislike

So I've finally started publishing some interactions, but strangely some of the ones I thought would be most popular are getting the most mixed response (though it's early days yet). I'll be posting a discussion topic to get some detailed feedback later, but otherwise there isn't much information for creators to work with.

What I'd like to suggest is that when a user hits Dislike on an interaction, that they should be presented with a box giving them some simplified options for feedback. Basically this would be a short list of generic reasons why a user might dislike an interaction, such as characters, positions, speed, quality etc. They would be able to select as few or as many as they like before finalising their dislike, and can either skip this step (dislike without a reason) or cancel if they wish.

The number of users who select each reason could then be summarised for creators (and possibly users as well?) to see what the most common reasons for a dislike are. For example, if an interaction overuses force (as a few of my earlier ones did) then this can look silly, make it hard to see what's going on, or cause shaky POV cameras, so a user might mark speed and poor quality as their reasons for disliking the interaction.

This additional step might also be a good place to encourage users to only dislike interactions they genuinely dislike, i.e- encouraging them to simply not vote on interactions they are neutral about. Not that I think that this is a problem, but a common issue with up/down vote systems elsewhere is that often you get people down-voting things without a good reason, so it's good to encourage them to provide one or cancel the action, i.e- to make clear a user doesn't have to vote, if they didn't like an interaction, but also didn't specifically dislike it (maybe it just isn't their thing) then it's okay to simply not vote.

I'm not 100% on what all the dislike reasons should be, I'll have a longer think about that and update this post once I've settled on a complete set; it shouldn't be too specific, but needs to give enough scope for all dislikes to have at least one reason. Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Yeah, I hope there are some more options for the voting system & other online aspects in YL2. Commenting has come up before as an idea, as either freeform commenting or being able to use pre-made messages (as to not have as much spam or etc.). Perhaps some sort of commenting system would be better overall anyway, since it would allow users to explain why they might have 'Liked' an interaction as well as 'Disliked' it.
  • edited December 2017
    I think the simplest and easiest system in YL2 might be to have a short checklist of things that you liked about an interaction, like:

-Subject matter / story
    -Execution of the animation
    -Attention to detail / set building
    -Technical skill
    -Creativity / originality

That way there's only 6 numbers to keep track of (points in the 5 categories, and the total number of people who voted), but there's still a good amount of useful info for creators, and it could make it easier for people to find the types of animations they want to watch. And you could still "dislike" by clicking the vote button with none of the boxes checked. It ends up a bit like a 5 star system that way, but more specific.
  • edited December 2017
    @MotorcycleCop:
    Perhaps some sort of commenting system would be better overall

While I think the option for comments/reviews would be great to have, it's a lot more work for creators to keep on top of as they need to read each one, and isn't as simple for users to just quickly give feedback; the idea is to encourage users to just quickly check a few relevant options to give quick, easily summarised feedback.

I certainly would love to see comments/reviews as well, but since v2 sounds like it's getting a URI scheme for sharing interactions users will be able to easily share their interactions, and invite detailed feedback, here in the forums. So it will become an issue of whether it's better to keep it out here, in order to keep the in-game interface nice and simple?

@arrkhal:

I think the simplest and easiest system in YL2 might be to have a short checklist of things that you liked about an interaction, like:

-Subject matter / story
    -Execution of the animation
    -Attention to detail / set building
    -Technical skill
    -Creativity / originality

Love the idea of having it apply to likes as well, I suppose the right set of options will easily work for both!

On your specific suggestions; execution, attention to detail and technical skill seem a bit too similar. Perhaps something like:

• Concept/Story
    • Character(s)
    • Position(s)
    • Detail/Technical
    • Creativity

Even there, Characters/Positions could be combined as "composition" to give room for something like interaction length (i.e- number of scenes/snapshots), handy for interactions that are too short or have huge numbers of snapshots on the dislike side, versus interactions that are just right in on the like side.

• Yeah, I was just trying to think of 5 different things in a hurry. I think maybe use of facial expressions could be scored separate from animation and humping, too, for a category. I've seen plenty of animations that don't really use facial expressions a whole lot, but were great otherwise. And a few where the faces get kind of disturbing from too many sliders at once.
  • I really like the idea, and also the option to add comments.
    Maybe the best way to do commenting would be to merge the functionality of the forum with YL itself: the game uses the forum credentials to log on to the forum, and every published interaction automatically creates a new thread when the first comment is published, being the title of the thread a unique identifier of the interaction. It can use a browser object inside the game to avoid to implement any commenting tech, and using the forum from iniside YL in a similar way most games do to show the lastest news.
  • Would like to be able to leave a short review where I could leave feedback, and say what I liked and what I disliked. It would be a nice option.