Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagging system improvements

I would love to see some improvements and enhancements of the tagging system in YL2.

In YL1, afaik, there was no word matching or wildcards - when searching, all words separated by spaces would be checked whether they exist in interaction tags. This leads to situations, where I know at least 8 tags for a specific fetish, and every single one of them yields different results.

I'd like you to consider implementing any of the following in YL2:
  • Tag browsing: having some capacity of being able to know what even is out there would definitely be handy, while being significantly less taxing than wildcard searches
  • Partial word or wildcard search: letting users specify only a part of the word, with or without explicit wildcards, should significantly increase the search results; obviously, a minimal number of letters in searched term could be required
  • Tag moderation: allow all users, or selected few volunteers, to modify the tags of a character/interaction; it's easy to expect that not all authors will try to tag thoroughly, so a way to let the community fix that later could come in handy; this could be done either by modifying the original tags, or use the Steam approach of splitting up author's tags and the ones set/voted by users
  • Predefined tag collection / tag tree: a system similar to e621.net, where more specific tags are related to, and imply / force more general ones, like, for example, tagging a character as a maned wolf would imply that this character is also a wolf, and therefore, a canine; having a collection of basic tags, like species, sex for characters, and location, sex position, number and interactions between participants for scenes - it could be possible to leverage the tag browsing mechanics to show tag suggestions during tagging process to avoid creating duplicates; you could lock the tags to only existing ones, but that would create unnecessary 'paperwork' - a solution, where newly created tags are marked for review might be the best option
Tagging sex automatically by genitals might be possible, but there would have to be a breast threshold, to differentiate between male and intersex. I'd also vote to separate sex and gender, and have only the first one as mandatory.

Pardon me if any of this has already been discussed or decided. 

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    The new cloud is way more advanced as far as tags go, but there's still plenty of room for improvements before we reach e621. We're probably gonna get there eventually, but right now I'm absolutely sick of working on the cloud and just want to get back to working on the app again.

The cloud and a new build will be released sometime this week for patrons, most likely.
  • Tagging sex automatically by genitals might be possible

I'd caution against this. YL1 did so, but I suspect the system wasn't designed around the assumption that people would come up with various workarounds to create interactions that defy the categorizations forced upon them, such as using penetration humping mechanics and some clever character positioning to create tribadism. Even though the male models are set to invisible and the cocks are hidden between the female models, it still technically counts as straight sex by the game's logic, for it cannot interpret more subjective parameters, and will be tagged as such. While this is defeated easily enough with a simple user-defined "lesbian" tag, it still muddies things up as the scene will show up in searches for straight content as well.

Similar jury-rigged workarounds are likely with YL2, especially early on as we wait for official implementations to roll around. Therefore, it may be wiser to let the users define the tags based on what they see, even at the risk of potentially inviting petty drama in, as I suspect coding an accurate artificial judge would be quite the mind-boggling undertaking.

• odesodes Administrator
    We don't have any auto tags atm, but tags are viewable and clickable for submissions, and you can edit a submission's tags after it has been uploaded.