Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't download 5.3

edited 1:22PM in Issues
I've been trying to download the 5.3 build all morning, yet it won't let me.  So when I download it through the archive, it gives me a folder with a Z on it.  When I open it and download it from there, it stops and produces an error saying, "there should be a Yiffalicious_Data folder next to executable", even though that folder is above the executable.  Idk maybe I just need to refresh my winrar.  But how do I fix this?

Comments

• odesodes Administrator
    edited 1:22PM
    You should download the entire file and then extract all its contents before trying to run the executable.
  • edited 1:22PM
    @odes or maybe it's just the download option giving me troubles.  Since a new release comes out only every few months I tend to forget how I download each patch.
    You tend to forget how important stuff works? The pain is real :)
  • odesodes Administrator
    You know what, I remember now that I forgot to edit the meta data of the download. Unless edited some browsers don't name the files properly (Internet Explorer). I'll fix this when I get home.

In the meantime you can try to download the files using Chrome instead.
    I am using Chrome, and now I think it works.  What I've been trying to do was download it through Archive instead of Installer.
    btw is anyone's program laggy when they run it?  I seem to be running into a lot of lag when I run mine.
    Well, don't know if it really is lag, but if the speed of an interaction is above 4, "shadows" of the characters appear, as if the previous frame had yet to be fully animated/ shown. My gfx card should be up to it, since it is a gtx960 4gb and I have 16Gb RAM of midrange to semi high end. So it comes down to, that it might be my first gen core i7 or my 27" Samsung screen w/ 5ms refresh rate.
  • odesodes Administrator
    lovalicious said: btw is anyone's program laggy when they run it?  I seem to be running into a lot of lag when I run mine.
    Shouldn't be any difference compared to previous build. Is there any pattern to the lag? Does it happen only on certain maps? When does it happen?

DrunkDragon said: "shadows" of the characters appear, as if the previous frame had yet to be fully animated
    What is your setting for anti aliasing? SMAA + temporal has been known to cause previous frames to linger, so not sure if that could be the cause or not. Does playing around with that or any other graphics settings change this behavior?
    @odes I haven't found any pattern yet besides it lags worse when I have internet tabs up, so right now I think it's just a RAM problem.
  • odesodes Administrator
    @lovalicious ;
    how much ram do you have?
    @odes honestly I don't know how to check.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Start menu > right click Computer > Properties
    Another weird thing I notices is, whenever I have the program running, the rest of my computer lags.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Well what kind of performance does your computer have?
  • edited May 2016
    Well, I figured out my lag problem.  Before I boot up the program, I had my graphics set on "beautiful", somehow causing the game to constantly drop in framerate for me.  If I set it somewhere below "simple", the game processes faster, but is still just a tad laggy.
  • odesodes Administrator
    There shouldn't be any noticeable difference between the newest builds and the recent earlier ones in terms of performance. If you download an earlier build, does it suffer from the same problem? If not, can you describe when exactly the lag happens? Is it continuous or only when characters are in the scene? Only during play or always regardless? etc
    at one point I actually did download the earliest public build I can find ( can't remember what it was though); it ran a lot smoother in general than any of the more current builds I downloaded.  
    @lovalicious;

Do you have a dedicated graphics card? I'm not extremely familiar with how things are processed both in Unity or in this program specifically; but I'd guess if not, all that work that is intended to be run by a GPU will end up being loaded on the processor instead. If I recall there have been a couple new features that run off the GPU specifically added in the past couple of builds which may be causing your troubles.
  • edited May 2016
    All I know is I've been having this lag problem ever since they upgraded to Unity 5.0 (I think).  I run it on my laptop, I'm not sure if I could upgrade laptop graphic cards from the Intel card.
    Now that I think about it, my Norton tries to block the app when I download the WIPs; it doesn't do that when I download a public build.  Maybe this is what's jacking with my performance?
  • odesodes Administrator
    Not sure, I consider anti viruses to be viruses themselves. Huge performance hog, and they don't even work against zero day exploits. Gives a false sense of security. There's no better anti virus than being literate in computing.
    @odes hopefully when you release a new public build, it might perform better.  IDK what it is, but public builds seem to run faster to me than WIPs.  

Or maybe it's just that, with new things being added to each WIP, the app becomes increasingly bigger for my computer to process.  But I doubt that.
    @lovalicious tell us what computer do you have that way:
    • Press and keep pressed the Windows key on the keyboard and then press the "Pause/break" key.
    • Take note of the following items: "Windows edition", "processor", "Installed memory" and "System type".
    • You can close the "system properties" window now.
    • Press and keep pressed the Windows key on the keyboard and then press the "R" key.
    • type "dxdiag" (no quotes) and press "Enter" or click "Ok".
    • On the "DirectX diagnostic tool" Window, click on the "Display" tab.
    • Take note of "Name" and "Approx. Total Memory"
    @Horisie I have a Windows 10 HP computer, don't really know the specific model.
    @lovalicious Listen, next weekend, I might have time to help you look things through. Depends on my workload. I will let you know when we hit Thursday.
    @DrunkDragon thank you.
    I think it's a gigabyte problem.  I've figured out my Intel card's only running on 1.792gb, and the game needs 4gb.
  • odesodes Administrator
    If that's the GPU memory you're talking about then it's definitely sufficient. 4 GB is regarding the system memory. But intel graphics processors in general suck, so it's not surprising it isn't performing well. I'm just surprised why the previous build was working better for you.
    @odes do you think I could take it to a Best Buy to have them upgrade my graphics card?  I'm running it from a laptop.
  • odesodes Administrator
    I don't think you can upgrade graphics cards on laptops as they're integrated on the board.
This discussion has been closed.