Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear VR Support and Problems (via Rift-Cat)

edited 8:56AM in Issues
Hi, I know that Gear VR isn't "offically" supported but I've seen some people have some luck with it in the following thread: http://forum.yiffalicious.com/discussion/540/poor-mans-vr-support

I tried the following
Skaz said: I've tried to get yiffalicious (0.5.x) to run on my samsung gear vr. Sadly, no luck so far. I added it to my steam vr library, then started steam vr from riftcat. The game launches just fine but i can't get it to output the game render on my gearvr. I'm stuck in the steamvr 'greyroom'
Skaz said:Update: It worked just fine with the latest WIP version 3
However when I tried it on the 0.6.3 build via USB Tethering on Riftcat, Steam VR 'grey room' keeps phasing in and out from the game making it impossible to use it.

This is the video of this happening:

Has anyone got a clue to what's happening and how to fix it? (My guess is that it seems like Yiffalicious is lagging so bad that it's causing Steam VR to believe it's not responding as seen in the Steam VR monitor but not sure why it's lagging so badly).

If anyone could give any tips to how I might be able to fix it, I would be in your debt.  :*

Here are some troubleshooting steps I've attempted so far without any luck:
- Changing resolution of game
- Changing from windowed to full-screen mode
- Rebooting
- Disabling multiple monitors
- Launching without Steam VR (Through the Oculus Rift option on Riftcat: Launched game but no VR stream sent to phone)
- Running the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit program
- Throwing my computer out the window

My GPU, CPU, Ram, didn't reach 100%
Specs:
- 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
- AMD FX-4300
- 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
- Galaxy S6

Comments

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited December 2016
    I have this working over Wi-Fi on my Nexus 5 by doing the following:
    1. Launch VRidge running on Android Phone
    2. Launch RiftCat on Windows PC
    3. Click "Play SteamVR Games"
      You should see a "VRidge Runtime" window and a "SteamVR" window

On the phone you get a Health and Safety warning and "awaiting vr game"

4. Launch Yiffalicious (outside of Steam)

I've found that as long as SteamVR and VRidge Runtime are running i do not need to run the game from within Steam for it to work.

Does the HMD display issue happen for other SteamVR games?
  • edited 8:56AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, it's still doing the same thing after I tried launching it outside of steam after clicking "Play SteamVR Games".

Other games such as Portal Stores: VR and other VR games seem to run smoothly ~60fps but it's only Yiffalicious that's running at 1-2 fps at extremely low resolution for some reason.
    Can anyone that has a working setup give me the VRidge setting and game settings when they run Yiffalicious? Even with the latest cycle, it's still doing the same thing.

VRidge Options
    • VRidge Resolution
    • Framerate
    • Bitrate
    • Render Scale
    • Video Encoder
    • Tracking Options
    • Other Options

Game Option
    • 64 or 32 bit?
    • Screen Resolution (windowed or not)
    • Graphics Quality
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited December 2016
    When I recorded the footage for the 0.6.4 trailer odes posted I was running:

Yiffalicious (64-bit) in windowed mode, 1280x720 @ Fantastic

RiftCat Settings:

VRidge running on Nexus 5 connected via 5Ghz WLAN

Computer Specs:
    • Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz
    • 16GB RAM
    • Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • edited December 2016
    Sigh, I changed the settings to match yours perfectly and even then I still get the same problem. I guess it's some hardware limitation or something else that I just can't figure out.

I did check up on what may cause that grey flickering in the SteamVR room and it seems to be caused by tracking issues for Vive users or problems with SteamVR in general. https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/357287304437288414/

If Yiffalicious could work directly from the Riftcat (Play Oculus Rift Games 0.6-0.8 SDK) without going through SteamVR I wonder if this problem could be solved (Launching this way only displays the message Awaiting VR game stream)

TLDR; For anyone else that is wondering, GearVR + Riftcat + Yiffalicious doesn't seem to work on a GTX 970 with an  AMD FX-4300 on Galaxy S6 (At least for me or maybe it's just me  :'( ).

• jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 8:56AM
    Zargo said: If Yiffalicious could work directly from the Riftcat (Play Oculus Rift Games 0.6-0.8 SDK
    RiftCat might need to update their SDK support before that hapens.

It says SDK 0.6 - 0.8 which is a year old. The latest Unity builds use the Oculus 1.10 SDK.
    Sucess!

I decided to reformat my computer and tried again and it worked this time. No more grey flicker :smiley: