Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interaction from an older version wigging out

edited 10:03PM in Issues
I downloaded 0.6.4 and opened one of the interactions I started making in 0.5.4. Most everything still works except for the positioning of the cat's arms - they're spazzing out and I can't get them to stop. It's hard to explain, so have a look for yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39zlrmx6mzefb53/dude%20no%20way.yiff?dl=0

Sometimes it'll stop after certain parts of the animation play, but that also tends to throw off the position of the hands for some reason. It's not a big deal if the scene isn't salvageable, but I'm curious to see if anything can be done about it. Deleting the wrist and elbow anchors and doing them over again didn't seem to help, as they'd start doing it again when they approached the position I wanted. Has this come up before? Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited 10:03PM
    If you haven't tried messing with some of the new sliders & things that were added that could be affecting an older scene strangely (Mate humping slider for example) then I suggest trying that first. Plenty of the newer features/changes could have just been automatically applied to a scene that didn't use them before, and are affecting it in an unfavorable way.

Other than changing settings around, I don't think there would be any way to salvage much of it if it was a bug caused by incompatibility. I know it sucks to have to do something over after you feel like you've got it down perfectly, but it shouldn't be too hard to re-make almost the same thing from scratch. You might even end up accidentally making it better than the original if you re-do it.
  • jei3jei3 Moderator
    edited 10:03PM
    i think there were some tweaks to the IK solver in 6.x,

if you put an extreme bend on any of the joints (to where the limbs bend back on themselves) there is some glitching:

if you move the cats hands up just a bit the glitching will stop:

also, with the level of parenting you have going on w/ the cat's hands, you might see them jump around when you start/stop the interaction until the issue mentioned in this other thread is taken care of  http://forum.yiffalicious.com/discussion/665/maya-parenting-dont-work-after-start-stop-in-interaction

• odesodes Administrator
    edited December 2016
    This is a consequence of circular dependency and the fact that we cheat to reduce calculations.

To solve this, first press F10 to stop drivers from performing. Then, unparent the elbows (or parent them to pelvis instead). Press F10 to enable drivers again.

Copy pasting this from another post:

What is a circular dependency?

A circular dependency is a self-referential hierarchy that cannot be solved. Think of it this way:

1. Imagine a hand is supposed to be in a certain spot. This spot is called "target".
    2. Now imagine a character trying to reach this spot.
    3. To reach this spot, the upper arm, lower arm and hands need to be affected.
    4. Now imagine that this target is parented to the upper arm. I.e., if the arm is moved or rotated, so will the target.
    5. So what happens? Well, as the arm is moved to reach the target, and the target is parented to the arm, then the target will move too.
    6. It becomes a never-ending chase because this criteria cannot be fulfilled.

• edited 10:03PM
    Thanks for the responses - it's cool to see the devs show up in the forums for little things like this. The public release of 0.6.4 was a nice treat too.