Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR on the HTC Vive now WORKS

2»

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I tried YL in room scale again yesterday and I think my issue originally was with not using the LMB+RMB cam to "sit" the vive's room area so that it's level with the game area, if you do this there's no need to even use the recalibrate option and using the mouse to move the camera around in VR "blindly" while looking in the correct direction is actually really intuitive despite how complicated that sounds. 

I guess it could still be improved on by adding a teleport mechanic like in "The Gallery" (where you can rotate the playspace before you teleport) but other than that it works VERY well once you have the play area aligned with the game world and containing the characters (still not using injectors, performance was very good with my GTX 980).

Looking forward to trying new characters/places in VR.

edit: I forgot to mention that PoV is a bit borked, currently it puts you into a pov floating "above" the character's head. Not sure if there's a fix for this.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited 9:02AM
    david said: Oh, one last question though.... what do I do with the serial # that came with it? I never used it... and I was able to  use VR with it.
    Have you really downloaded and installed the WIP version? It sounds like you're still using the public build. Are the new characters available?
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited October 2016
    baphomet said: edit: I forgot to mention that PoV is a bit borked, currently it puts you into a pov floating "above" the character's head. Not sure if there's a fix for this.
    That's because it isn't properly calibrated... When using Oculus it's enough to press F8 to re calibrate, but Unity + Vive doesn't seem to support that.
  • edited 9:02AM
    odes said: Unity + Vive doesn't seem to support that.
    using F8 to re-center works for me and I'm use the Vive
  • odesodes Administrator
    usicco said: using F8 to re-center works for me and I'm use the Vive
    On public or patron build?
    odes said: On public or patron build?
    Public
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited October 2016
    I think that may be revive making it work and not Unity itself.
    odes said: Have you really downloaded and installed the WIP version? It sounds like you're still using the public build. Are the new characters available?
    When I look through the gallery of sex scenes, I don't see that dragon lady that's advertised on the main patreon page. So I guess I don't have the new characters. But I downloaded from the patreon build...
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited October 2016
    Did you install it/are you using it? It sounds like you're still using the old build.

When you launch the installer, what version does it say it's installing?
  • odesodes Administrator
    @david ;
    Did you get it working?
  • edited October 2016
    Ok I think I got it... maybe I downloaded the wrong one last time, but it seems different this time, like a village.
    edit: ...but now VR doesn't work... which was the whole reason I donated in the first place.... I thought it was the only way to access that.
  • odesodes Administrator
    @david ;
    Not sure if you're using it with revive or not, but you shouldn't do that.

Anyone with a Vive here that can help david out?
    Yeah, I'm using revive. I installed it like last time, but I think it said somewhere that builds above the public one may not work in vr.
  • odesodes Administrator
    0.6 builds have native vive support so you don't need to use revive...
    Yeah it seems to work now, though the POV is now pretty wanked, and the fps in the headset is still a bit much. Wish there was a reset position feature and it would just guide you to that like before. Hopefully the next time it gets updated it can fix those issues.
  • odesodes Administrator
    david said: Yeah it seems to work now, though the POV is now pretty wanked, and the fps in the headset is still a bit much. Wish there was a reset position feature and it would just guide you to that like before. Hopefully the next time it gets updated it can fix those issues.
    F8 recenter doesn't seem to work with Vive, but you can still use quick calibration in the steam overlay settings.

To increase FPS you can remove Ambient occlusion in graphics settings.
    odes said: F8 recenter doesn't seem to work with Vive, but you can still use quick calibration in the steam overlay settings.
    This isn't really a good solution because it blows away your current roomscale config and you have to re-do it for when you want to play some other game (which isn't the end of the world but kind of an inconvenience). For now I just don't use PoV or orient myself to a sort of PoV position manually.

p.s. I hear oculus is getting room-scale VR soon, should be exciting.
  • odesodes Administrator
    edited November 2016
    So I got my Vive today. F8 recenter now works properly, and the device is properly set up in Yiffalicious.

Can't say I'm too impressed by the Vive so far though. It feels a lot heavier than my Oculus, and the headtracking is noticeably worse. That comes as a bit of a surprise to me considering how much more setup and devices it requires in order to function.
    odes said: Can't say I'm too impressed by the Vive so far though. It feels a lot heavier than my Oculus, and the headtracking is noticeably worse.
    I've heard by a lot of people that it is indeed a lot heavier, but as far as tracking goes, do you have any reflective/glossy surfaces in your room? They can interfere with tracking quite a bit. I've had my fair share of Vive troubleshooting, does it only happen in yiffalicious or all games?
  • odesodes Administrator
    It's not jittery or anything, it just isn't as responsive as the Oculus. I think it's because Oculus has time warping technique while the Vive does not. It makes a pretty huge difference.

Oh, I've seen time-warping videos, but I assumed they only filled in missing frames.

• edited November 2016
    @odes Async Time Warp as i understand it is for seated and not roomscale, (this is why Async Space Warp is being implemented by Oculus when touch releases It is also advised by Oculus that this should not be relied on by developers as it is just a safety mechanism.
    The Vive`s tracking is flawless and as usicco has said try other games to see if its still unresponsive....The Lab on Steam is free so maybe give that a go if you haven't already 

To see if its the Yiff game that is missing frames and going into re-projection do the following..

On steam VR right click and choose "Settings"...then click on "Performance"....tick "Notify In Headset" (a little window will appear in the headset when you miss frames)...also...at the bottom you will see "Allow reprojection" this schould be ticked.....THEN click "Display Frame Timing" (A window will appear..look to the bottom of this window and click "Show In Headset".....Now when you have the headset on you should see the frame timing window glued to the side of one of the vive wands and if you have missed frames they will appear as red spikes on the chart glued to the Wand so you will have a better idea if you`re missing frames.

I would also try this with The Lab..if you are having regular missed frames in the Lab with all the demo`s then something is wrong.

If you are NOT missing frames in The Lab but ARE missing frames in the Yiff game at least you know its not you`re setup that's got a problem and then you can work toward optimizing the game so it hits 90fps as all games for VR should be doing.
    For help troubleshooting you`re Vive setup go to https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ ; a wealth of information there.

Also I have noticed a some people say that shadows in games can give poor performance so maybe try turn those off if you have them on.

hope this helps some

The tracking implementation for the Vive is flawless when properly set up. You're most likely not meeting the min 90fps requirement so you're dropping down to 45fps with reprojection. The Rift's ATW is a much better implentation than reprojection, so that would be why it seems smoother. If you opt into the SteamVR beta, you can actually get ATW (called Asnyc Reprojection) with the Vive. I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've heard it's just as good as the Rift's.
  • odesodes Administrator
    Thanks @Vr_Vive @B01CEF.

Yeah, that is most likely the issue as my machine doesn't quite meet the required specs. I kind of prefer working on a outdated rig because then I'm forced to always be concerned about performance.

I suppose Oculus has the upper hand on systems that can't produce enough frames right now thanks to ATW, but hearing it comes to Vive as well makes me happy.
  • Is Vive VR inclusion now better than the first built?

Last time I tried it with my vive I had to recalibrate room setup and the recenter didn't work. 
    I would also be a lot better if you could use your controllers for example to pick up the characters and move them or when you in pov your VR body would move when your head moves to a different position. 

greetz 

It's much better IMO. Although you can't do any  interaction editing yet, the cumbersome recentering is now fairly painless with a simple click of a button from an in-game menu. And it doesn't mess up your Roomscale environment anymore. But I do agree; since manipulating objects in a 3D space is the easiest thing to do with VR controllers, implementing interaction editing would make VR functionality tremendously more interesting. I'm definitely thrilled to find out you guys have a Vive to work with now.